RLN1002A Analyzer

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pat

RLN1002A Analyzer

Post by Pat »

I just came into possession of an RLN1002A battery analyzer for the MT1000 series radios but it did not come with an operating manual. Getting it to analyze a battery is pretty straightforward, but mainly what I'm looking to find out is what the reading for a good battery should be.

Pat
Al

Post by Al »

I guess what you're asking is: What is the rated average capacity on an MT1000 battery. The answer depends on which battery you're analyzing: The NTN4823_R is rated at 550 maH, the NTN5447_R is rated at 1100 maH, the NTN5448_R is 1000 maH, and the NTN7015 NiMH is 950 maH.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sorry about that, guess I wasn't very clear.

After analyzing the battery, the readout displays a number. On a battery that's almost worn out it displayed an 88, and on a new 2007 datecode battery it displayed a 132. I guess what I'm looking for are what the readings should be for a good battery and a bad battery.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: RLN1002A Analyzer

Post by DJP126 »

It will still depend on the battery capacity rating. The 1002 analyzer (and the Saber counterpart) had a readout that was calibrated for ONE SPECIFIC battery. All other batteries required you to take the ending readout and multiply it with a battery specific formula (such as readout X 1.125 or readout X 0.78) to get the proper results. There was an addendum to the RLN1002 manual to give you the proper formulas for the battery models by capacity. The readout itself is % of rated capacity (which is why the formulas are required).
Dave
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ok, that makes sense. I'm using all NTN5447 1100 mah batteries with it. Do you happen to have a list of the conversion formulas handy? It appears it may be calibrated to the 1100 batteries already because the readings make some sense with the new vs. old batteries.

Pat
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

Pat wrote: Do you happen to have a list of the conversion formulas handy?

Pat
Unfortunately, I don't. The only reason that I remembered about the formulas is because I used to repair these when I was with the test equipment depot. After service and calibration (and the readout is more accurate with a calibration) I would use 6 batteries of various capacities for testing. I didn't take any of my test equipment manuals when I was transferred to the radio service side. The calibration consisted of adjustments to the power supply, the battery discharge circuitry, the charging rates and (IIRC) the cutoff level.
Dave
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Just dug this up on the search function. Anyone still have the sticker that came with the RLN1001A or RLN1002A that outlines the different light / display conditions ? (One example is I'm getting a blinking red light and '2' displayed on a few batteries).
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

I too just came across this on search...

I have one of these at my station and no one is sure how to use it, or what the readouts mean, therefore it has only been used as a charger. Since we have it, I figured we should use it to its full capacity... As far as we can figure, the attachment goes to the top of the battery and battery goes in the charge slot. Then hit the button and something happens. Correct assumption so far???

Does it just analyze, or does it condition at the same time? Are those separate processes?

And any help with those conversions would be great.
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

RadioSouth -
I'll take a pic of the sticker and attempt to post it. May be a few days before I can do it.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I'd appreciate that. Thanks !
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

ffexpCP wrote:As far as we can figure, the attachment goes to the top of the battery and battery goes in the charge slot. Then hit the button and something happens. Correct assumption so far???

Does it just analyze, or does it condition at the same time?
You are correct with how to connect the "attachment". This is the discharge head for the analyzer. To cycle the analyzer test, press and hold the button until the analyzer beeps. This will start the testing. If you hold the button down longer, the analyzer will beep a second time and then a third time. When that happens, the analyzer will discharge and recharge the battery two times (or three depending on the number of beeps) which helps condition the batteries IF they aren't depleted too far.
Dave
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

bump
ffexpCP

Post by ffexpCP »

I have the pictures, just haven't had luck finding a way of posting them. I can send it via e-mail if you would like.

I'm working on checking the first batch of batteries, already tossed about 5 batteries due to readings of "0" or one of various error codes...

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”