GP68 tinny transmit audio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n3chu

GP68 tinny transmit audio

Post by n3chu »

Hi all, my transmit audio on my GP-68 UHF radio sounds tinny . everything else works fine and I was wondering if there is a fix for this problem and give it a fuller sound?.? Havent used the radio in a couple of years so havent had a chance to try the speaker mic.
the 68 is small enough that I dont want to use the speaker mic. so any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you. Davie n 3 c h u at atlanticbb dot net
A Stranger is just a friend you havent met yet
tvsjr

Re: GP68 tinny transmit audio

Post by tvsjr »

I haven't played with one in awhile, but I know several people with GP2000s who disassembled them and drilled the "mic" hole out a bit... the existing hole was simply too small, and was stifling the audio.

That said, don't expect the 68 to sound like a Jedi, Saber, etc. - they aren't in the same class.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I second the motion. And while you've got the case apart, if you find a piece of black
cloth or wire web in front of the mic element take that piece out and throw it away. You
should end up looking through the enlarged hole directly at the front of the mic element.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

The mic. is really hot so mic sensitivity I think is not really the problem? never had the case apart and not sure how to open it. was thinking that maybe a cap change would take some of the tinny out , I did several mot. dtmf mic mods and it took out most of the thin tinny sound and part of it was a cap change. Do you really think that taking out a screen or cloth or making the hole bigger will give it more bass?
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

n3chu wrote:Do you really think that taking out a screen or cloth or making the hole bigger will give it more bass?
It does work, I have done it to several bubblepack FRS radios and they didn't sound quite so crappy.

I have a GP68, but I never thought the audio was that bad.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

n3chu wrote:Do you really think that taking out a screen or cloth or making the hole bigger will give it more bass?
I don't think... I know, at least for some radios. And I believe that procedure holds true for the GP68 as well.
avguy
New User
What radios do you own?: XTN XV (all), BPR40 Radius P10

Post by avguy »

Absolutely.
The cloth is probably almost acoustically transparent, so it won't be a huge difference.
The larger hole will definitely make a difference, it's physics.
Philip LaDue
Endicott Audio
vb105
What radios do you own?: TK5720,NX5000,PM1500,FTM400

Post by vb105 »

n3chu wrote:Hi all, my transmit audio on my GP-68 UHF radio sounds tinny . everything else works fine and I was wondering if there is a fix for this problem and give it a fuller sound?.? Havent used the radio in a couple of years so havent had a chance to try the speaker mic.
the 68 is small enough that I dont want to use the speaker mic. so any help will be greatly appreciated. thank you. Davie n 3 c h u at atlanticbb dot net
What do you mean by tiny? Could be a few things. 1. Flat TX Audio, 2. Mic Gain, 3. TX Compression/AGC .
n3chu

Post by n3chu »

By tinny I mean its sounds very high pitch with not much mid range and no low end? I have done the larger hole thing on some other radios and it really helped but they were suffering from low mic volume. Guess I am comparing the audio to my HT1000, MTS2000, GP300,CP-50,MT1000, which have that good Mot. audio. also the mic is pretty hot. maybe a bad mic element? I have a VHF 68 and it sounds fine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”