"aftermarket" batteries (ebay)

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

t2k
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1000 (4), MT2000 (1)

"aftermarket" batteries (ebay)

Post by t2k »

Can some folks give me an opinion on these aftermarket batteries? I would like to stock some spares for my HT1000s and they seem like a great price. They offer 1 year warranty. Is it worth bothering with, should I stick with OEM batteries?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0360206112

Thanks
(4) HT1000s w/dtmf (vhf), (1) MT2000 (vhf) and counting.
tvsjr

Re: "aftermarket" batteries (ebay)

Post by tvsjr »

Personally, I would recommend staying with OEM batteries. If you have to go aftermarket, go with a trusted supplier like Multiplier or Interstate.

I buy Moto stuff and it doesn't let me down. YMMV.
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

t2k wrote:Can some folks give me an opinion on these aftermarket batteries? I would like to stock some spares for my HT1000s and they seem like a great price. They offer 1 year warranty. Is it worth bothering with, should I stick with OEM batteries?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0360206112

Thanks
Talk with escomm.They're only a little more than the aftermarkets, and I'd rather have new OEM batteries with a warranty rather than an unknown quantity.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Yes, I was going to recommend Multiplier for the only aftermarket battery to buy (only if you HAVE to buy aftermarket).
However, as stated above, I'd just stick with original Motorola gear. You'll thank us later (you won't have to worry about loose/tight fits, quality, etc.).
Stick with OEM, and you can very rarely go wrong.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Ditto. The ebay battery/chinese cell trash is just a money pit.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

if you don't want to go oem then multiplier is the way to go
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
SYNTORX71MAN
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Not meaning to highjack t2k's thread but along the same lines as his initial question on ebay and aftermarket batteries. Any thoughts on the Alexander Blue Bottom batteries showing up recently on ebay?
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

SYNTORX71MAN wrote:Not meaning to highjack t2k's thread but along the same lines as his initial question on ebay and aftermarket batteries. Any thoughts on the Alexander Blue Bottom batteries showing up recently on ebay?
I have a short one on an Astro Saber. Works great but fits a bit loose. Slight rocking movement, but never loses electric contact. I did pick up 4 no name batteries at the Orlando Hamfest. Perfect fit & works great. No rocking & lasts a long time. No name on battery at all. Tiny letters ARHF on front bottom right corner. I'd love to know who makes this battery. GARY N4KVE
t2k
New User

Post by t2k »

Thank you all for advice. I'll stick with OEM too I guess, lifespan is important to me. Besides, I really, really do not like buying products from China. I posted another thread where there is an ebay seller selling "reconditioned" and "tested" batteries, but don't know if the mods approve of such a post (yet)

If you don't mind me hijacking my own thread, I have another question about battery storage. I need to make several "grab and go" bags that will then be put into sealed 20mm ammo cans and stored for months at a time (with dessicant, some loaded mags, etc). I'd LOVE to charge the batteries up, then leave them attached to the radios (HT1000s) but was worried about current drain when off. Would it be better to store them detached from the radio?

Thanks!
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Here is a link to a site with lots of battery info.

http://batteryuniversity.com/

It is a Cadex site.

Jim
Jim1348

"Aftermarket" batteries (Ebay)

Post by Jim1348 »

I just picked up a UHF Motorola MT1000 and the battery is junk, so this is a very timely thread for me. Thanks for the posts.

I was looking at the choices at Interstate http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Search.aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup|MT1000+radio+battery|3|,Ny~True,Ntpc~Disabled,Ns~product+Type|101|1|,Nrc~id-3
And I have some questions. At first I thought it was as simple as the greater the battery capacity the higher the cost, but it looks like it might not be that simple. It looks like some are NiCD, but others are NIMH. Actually one might be alkaline. There are two different ones that are both 1200 mAH. Can anybody help me decide what the differences are? One makes reference to a "Workaholic" battery. Is that advertising hype, or is there some significance to that term?

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-RAD0100(Other+Products).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup|MT1000%20radio%20battery|3|,Ny~True,Ntpc~Disabled,Ns~product%20Type|101|1|,Nrc~id-3

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/Products/RT/PID-RAD0053(Other+Products).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup|MT1000%20radio%20battery|3|,Ny~True,Ntpc~Disabled,Ns~product%20Type|101|1|,Nrc~id-3
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

t2k-

If you are going to be storing the rechargable batteries in "grab" bags for months on end, it really doesn't matter if you have the battery attached to the radio or not. Depending on enviornmental factors, and the batteries themselves they will most likely be completely drained by the time you need them. I have seen some NIMH batteries drain 1% a day. Rechargable batteries do not have a long charged shelf life in comparisson to Alkaline. Granted once alkaline batteries are under use they generally won't last as long as NIMH, however it really depends on you application. Perhaps soon after the initial deployment of the radios (w/ alkaline), charged NIMH batteries could be dispersed to the users.

Mark
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

If your not going to use your batteries for awhile, (IE storing them, etc.) then NiCad would be the way to go. You would get the most "life" out of a battery with NiCad's. There was a thread awhile back indicating the percentages, and what type batteries were good for what applications (too tired/lazy right now to use the search feature lol).
t2k
New User

Post by t2k »

twowaytekk wrote:t2k-

If you are going to be storing the rechargable batteries in "grab" bags for months on end, it really doesn't matter if you have the battery attached to the radio or not. Depending on enviornmental factors, and the batteries themselves they will most likely be completely drained by the time you need them. I have seen some NIMH batteries drain 1% a day. Rechargable batteries do not have a long charged shelf life in comparisson to Alkaline. Granted once alkaline batteries are under use they generally won't last as long as NIMH, however it really depends on you application. Perhaps soon after the initial deployment of the radios (w/ alkaline), charged NIMH batteries could be dispersed to the users.

Mark
That makes sense, but it's really really going to make it hard to pre-position ready equipment without having some way to keep the units charged. I'm sure leaving the radios in a charger for months is probably a bad idea too. I had envisioned some way to keep pre-packed bags with ready to go units in them but that seems more distant each time I did deeper. I'm curious about alkaline batteries for HT1000s now I have to go see what you meant. I didn't know there was such a thing for Jedi-series radios.

I just finished rigging up some desktop chargers to solar panels (with a 12v12ah battery) and need to test charge one of the units this weekend when I have a chance to see how many radios can be charged from dead-flat to fully-charged, then see how long it will take to re-charge the 12ah battery. I'm in NM so sun isn't much of a problem. This is more of a shtf/survival type setup if there were no commercial power available. The only "rigging" I did was attach andersen power pole connectors to the mini-plug and attach it to the power distribution panel I use (power pole connectors in a strip) thus eliminating the wall xfmr. I'm using a 55w folding solar panel (Global Solar) much like the military uses nowdays. I suspect each unit will have to also be supplied with a second battery so they can be rotated since I'm sure it will take at least 4-5 hours of charge time to replenish the main battery (12ah) in the NM sun.

We take it for granted how comms are always available but if there is no commercial power (or generator) then the picture changes,
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The best radio battery for long-term storage vs. holding a decent charge is the lithium-
ion type. Some sellers/manufacturers warranty a 90% charge at the end of one year, and
you can not come close to that with nicad or nickel/metal/hydride batteries. Do some research
on lithium ion type batteries and you'll come up with a lot more good information so you make a good decision and don't waste your money on something that doesn't work.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
t2k
New User

Post by t2k »

Tom in D.C. wrote:The best radio battery for long-term storage vs. holding a decent charge is the lithium-
ion type. Some sellers/manufacturers warranty a 90% charge at the end of one year, and
you can not come close to that with nicad or nickel/metal/hydride batteries. Do some research
on lithium ion type batteries and you'll come up with a lot more good information so you make a good decision and don't waste your money on something that doesn't work.
So in this case with HT1000s is there any current drain when the battery is installed? I don't have a way of testing (yet)...
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If I were going to leave batteries in a cache for a long period of time I would not leave them attached to the radios. BTW, I misspoke about the "guaranteed" life. Cut Rate Batteries lists their lithium ion units as 80% after one year.
Tom in D.C.
t2k
New User

Post by t2k »

Tom in D.C. wrote:If I were going to leave batteries in a cache for a long period of time I would not leave them attached to the radios. BTW, I misspoke about the "guaranteed" life. Cut Rate Batteries lists their lithium ion units as 80% after one year.
Well you answered my next question but since I'm still on moderation it didn't get posted right away.

I just bought 10 (used) Motorola OEM batteries (Jedi) from someone on ebay who had reconditioned them, I was going to fool around with those for awhile, the price was less than $5 per battery so worth it if a few are junk.

Thanks Everyone!
mber
New User

Post by mber »

W&W makes a good replacement battery too. I've used a lot of their batteries with just failure and they replaced it with no hassle whatsoever.
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

IMHO W&W's story is a mixed bag. I've had really bad and really good experiences with them. One of two short Saber NiMH batteries I got a year ago was bad, but I've gotten some of their NOS LiIon XTS Impres batteries from Vince on eBay that were fantastic units at unbelievably low prices, and always with excellent customer service. I've somehow developed the impression that W&W's product line for PS radios is simply much better than it is for the ham market units.
Tom in D.C.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

mber wrote:W&W makes a good replacement battery too. I've used a lot of their batteries with just failure and they replaced it with no hassle whatsoever.
If you look in the files back over the last few years you will find many horror stories about W&W batteries & chargers. I personally have gotten junk from them. They happily replaced the batteries with fresh junk that had the same problems. Others here have had melting chargers. There are Motorola batteries, then there are some good generics, & at the bottom of the barrel, there is W&W. Just look them up here. GARY N4KVE
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Close to 20 years ago I purchased a charger from them for an Icom radio and every time I would put the radio into the charger the charger would die. I had two die on me before I stopped, they were good enough to ship me the replacement chargers overnight, but after the second the told me I had a bad battery. I tried the Icom desktop charger with no problem, so I took a look at the pocket on the W&W unit and they had the polarity reversed. When I called and talked to the German lady she was very rude and told me that I must had switched the wires myself!! They did send me another charger, and I reversed the wires so the polarity was correct. Id did work for me till I sold the radio a few years later. I have never forgot how that old hag talked to me that day, and I still do my best not to use W&W items. I'm Irish, so I may forget some things but never a grudge (they call that Irish Alzheimer)..

Jim
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

n7maq wrote:Close to 20 years ago I purchased a charger from them for an Icom radio and every time I would put the radio into the charger the charger would die. I had two die on me before I stopped, they were good enough to ship me the replacement chargers overnight, but after the second the told me I had a bad battery. I tried the Icom desktop charger with no problem, so I took a look at the pocket on the W&W unit and they had the polarity reversed. When I called and talked to the German lady she was very rude and told me that I must had switched the wires myself!! They did send me another charger, and I reversed the wires so the polarity was correct. Id did work for me till I sold the radio a few years later. I have never forgot how that old hag talked to me that day, and I still do my best not to use W&W items. I'm Irish, so I may forget some things but never a grudge (they call that Irish Alzheimer)..

Jim
HA! Thats the second time I've ever heard that Irish Alzheimer remark!

Anyways back to the topic, I've had good luck with actually the Rayovac aftermarket radio batteries. I think they are just rebadged from another manufacturer, but are not bad for the price. I know that's what Batteries Plus has for most Motorola radio batteries if you are ever in a pinch and near one of their stores.

I quite honestly for my radio usage rather rebuild radio packs since with a dead battery, you still have the case, just need to find a way to open it up and find suitable replacement cells.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
DC615
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R M3, XTVA w/HHCH

Post by DC615 »

Here's my three options for batteries:
1) OEM
2) Multiplier
3) None

Just my two cents
DC615
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

mber wrote:W&W makes a good replacement battery too. I've used a lot of their batteries with just failure and they replaced it with no hassle whatsoever.
W&W - Wiggly and Wobbly. Cheap cells, terrible fit, and their customer service in my previous experience has been dismal. Just search the board for W&W - you'll find plenty of bad experiences.
DC615
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R M3, XTVA w/HHCH

Post by DC615 »

I tried a W&W one time, and it was the last. I knew that I should have gone "back" with the Multiplier, but went the ultra-cheap route via online auction. NEVER will I do that again.

Here is a comical account of what went down... ASTRO Saber attached to belt while walking through busy store... battery falls off radio & busts into pieces... radio still attached to belt... VERY embarrassed, red-faced firefighter picks up pieces and leaves large, gazing crowd in busy store.
DC615

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”