VHF MSF5000 Firmware Upgrade

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

VHF MSF5000 Firmware Upgrade

Post by Big Towers »

Anybody have or know how to get a firmware upgrade for the VHF series MSF controller. I have an old one that is like 3.2 or so and I think the newest is 5.?.

Thanks
firemedic

Re: VHF MSF5000 Firmware Upgrade

Post by firemedic »

I'm in the same boat. It would be nice to find a file set of the TTRC, the station firmware, and the secure card firmware all the newest versions. I've got a station I can't get a secure card to work in as the firmware mismatches. Oh well.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I could be wrong but I thought that the firmware upgrade was built into the last RSS(5.2 or what ever it was) release.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Towers »

I know I can build latest codeplug versions with the RSS but I don't remember seeing a way to upgrade the firmware in it.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

CXB MSF5000 firmware is stored in EPROM chips and cannot be upgraded via software.

TTRC firmware (TVN6056A) is still orderable from Motorola, but the SSCB firmware (TVN6055A) is showing canceled. I don't have the part # handy for the secure board firmware, but it was also canceled the last time I inquired.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
The new firmware is on 27C512 chips.
I suggest finding a station with V5.xx firmware and copying the chips.
Perhaps some one could e mail you the .dat file, providing you have access to a chip programmer.

Some of the firmware does come from the RSS, but the RSS has to have the necessary firmware chips first.
You can use any version of RSS V5.16, 19, 21. .21 is necessary only if you are running a secure station.
Be sure to archive your present code plug. Use the version update screen to convert your archive to V 5.
Save this under a slightly different name. Keep the old CP in case we have to fall back.
Install the new firmware chips. Note: Never pull the chip with your finger. The likely result is that when it breaks free it will rotate in your fingers firmly inserting several pins in your thumb, while bending the pins on the opposite side. The blood causes corrosion.
Be sure no pin has bent under the chip while inserting. Power the station, it will awaken in a royal snit.
Program the new CP. If all is well the display will indicate PRG.
It will be necessary to reset all the eepots.
Aloha, Bernie
W8RW

Post by W8RW »

Tom,

I just looked through the junk, and I have two part numbers: 5190006L64 and 5190006H79. There is no version number, only copyright dates.

Since the ICs don't have a firmware version on the label, does anyone have an idea of the date for the latest? For example, I have some chips with "5190006L64" that are copyright 1983, and some others that are copyright 1988. They are not installed in a station, so it is not easy for me to tell what version they are.

If you do find what you need, I have plenty of 27C512s to program them into.

Rob
kd4hlv
What radios do you own?: Spectra, Saber, MTS, MCS. MSF

Post by kd4hlv »

Hi Rob Did you ever figure out what you have? If not I have the files and what they are. I just upgraged to the latest V5.xx firmware and can tell you if not send you a bin file.
Marty
W8RW wrote:Tom,

I just looked through the junk, and I have two part numbers: 5190006L64 and 5190006H79. There is no version number, only copyright dates.

Since the ICs don't have a firmware version on the label, does anyone have an idea of the date for the latest? For example, I have some chips with "5190006L64" that are copyright 1983, and some others that are copyright 1988. They are not installed in a station, so it is not easy for me to tell what version they are.

If you do find what you need, I have plenty of 27C512s to program them into.

Rob
--
Martin
luisa.kmet
New User

Post by luisa.kmet »

You might just be able to get a replacement EEPROM for the MSF5000. I was told the Upgrade Operations SW team in S'Burg sometimes can make replacement legacy Eproms under a break & fix, if you give them the SW version number of the chip and define type of board. equipment its used in.
Basically you will have to define exactly what you need cause they won't know how to define for you what Eproms you would for 25 year old legacy equipment. But you would need an account to place an order and it will cost big bucks for a EPROM these days.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”