Weird Astro Saber Encryption Problem

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firemedic

Weird Astro Saber Encryption Problem

Post by firemedic »

Ok, I'm ready to pull my hair out on this one. I have 2 identical astro saber 3's with the whore flashcodes in them. Both have EMC 2.12 DES-XL DES-OFB encryption boards. I can get the radios to talk on a simplex channel just fine in analog securenet. When I try to talk on a programmed secure digital channel using a talkgroup all I get is jiberish when monitoring the channel. Neither radio will break the squelch of the other and everything that I can find in the programming looks right and both have the same keys loaded into the radio. I'm using 4 multikeys on the radios to handle our ops but I can't get these darn things to talk secure in digital mode. Anyone seen this or had any problems similar? I went through a whole alignement via the autotest software I have to make sure the radios were on the mark and they both passed without any issues. Urgh. They talk fine digital to each other just not when the encryption is thrown into the mix. Thanks for any help.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Weird Astro Saber Encryption Problem

Post by Pj »

Get rid of using ASTRO Conventional Talkgroups. Start there.

Also check on the CKR or PID management. Remember that 1 is 0 (or is 0 = 1?) between KVL locations and software key locations.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

I'm stuck with a conventional talkgroup due to the way the repeater was setup. We have 2 talkgroups, each with a different key strapped and talkgroup for the users (key 3 slaved to talkgroup 1 and key 4 to talkgroup 3) (Legacy thing I'm stuck with to support 2 user groups at the time, one is our detectives, the other group is our counterdrug units). Our EFJ radios and XTS5000's work fine on it and talk fine to each other. The astro's are a different story. I've got the multikey setup with CKR, the keys are named right, Each key matches the name in the keyloader (0001 for slot 0, 0002 for slot 1,etc) I've loaded key 1 to slot 0 correctly. and up through with the T3011DX keyloader. I'll try seing if disabling the talkgroup will let them talk correctly encrypted to each other and if they will something must be screwy there and start digging some more.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
akardam

Post by akardam »

I'm pretty sure if you're loading with a 3011DX, you're going to want to have CKR turned OFF, and be using PID, on your Astro Sabers...
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Ok, droped the talkgroup out on a personality for testing and the damn things still don't work on DES-OFB. URGH..... Begining to think I have a couple bad modules.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”