Harris GStar G-Star MA/Com GE-Star Capable Motos

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HarrisonRHW
What radios do you own?: Waris Stuff

Harris GStar G-Star MA/Com GE-Star Capable Motos

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Now, I did find a thread from 5 years ago (!) that said (to my surprise) Jedis and GM300's could handle GE-Star. Now we are not desperate for the ability to do it, but we would like to have a couple radios that encode it for neighboring agencies. So I need to confirm what radios can handle GStar/GE-Star/G-Star here is what I have so far

GM300s
HT1000
JT1000
MT2000
Astro Portables (XTS3K/Saber)

Am I missing any? We would like to stick with Motorola so that if we do buy a used radio (since no new ones come with GStar) we would be able to contact our dealers for parts/support/programming. I am well aware you can get Midian (and other companies) encoders for radios to do it, and you can also Harris/MA-Com/GE radios, but again, we would like to stick with Motorola.

How do you know which ones will actually support this before opening up the codeplug?
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: Harris GStar G-Star MA/Com GE-Star Capable Motos

Post by Mfire39 »

The MTS2000 is also capable of GE Star. However, Astro products (XTS/Saber) Do NOT support GE Star.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
HarrisonRHW

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Mfire39 wrote:The MTS2000 is also capable of GE Star. However, Astro products (XTS/Saber) Do NOT support GE Star.

-Marc
You're right... I was reading Akardam's decoder incorrectly...
linkinpark9812
What radios do you own?: Spectra, HT1000, Icom F30

Post by linkinpark9812 »

IIRC, on my HT1000 RSS, you can ONLY choose ONE signaling type.

So since you want to use GE-Star on the neighboring agency, thats fine, but if your agency uses MDC, I don't think you can mix the two (as far as HT100 goes)

However, I do know that the MT2000 does allow multiple signaling personalities, such as multiple MDC profiles. I am not sure if you can mix MDC and GE-Star personalities or if you have to keep all personalities the same.
Radios I own: Spectra VHF 110W with A7 head, HT1000 VHF, ICOM IC-F30 VHF, and a Puxing PX-888 VHF.
Scanner I own: Radioshack Pro-164

If you want to get around the 16 mode scan limit on the Motorola Spectra, then read this guide and go to the original thread Here! 8)
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

Probably older than what you're looking for, but I think the Maxtracs can do it as well. At least with them you can set up a bunch of different signalling personalities.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

linkinpark9812 wrote:IIRC, on my HT1000 RSS, you can ONLY choose ONE signaling type.

So since you want to use GE-Star on the neighboring agency, thats fine, but if your agency uses MDC, I don't think you can mix the two (as far as HT100 goes)

However, I do know that the MT2000 does allow multiple signaling personalities, such as multiple MDC profiles. I am not sure if you can mix MDC and GE-Star personalities or if you have to keep all personalities the same.
On the MT2000, you can have different signaling types for different personalities. Example, F1=Conv Pers 1 MDC system 1, Conv Pers 2, MDC System 2, Conv per 3, QCII System 1, Conv Pers 4, GE Star System 1, etc.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
HarrisonRHW

Post by HarrisonRHW »

OK so here's a new question...

I was surprised to see the GM300 could do it, mostly because, I am looking at a codeplug right now in the CPS, and I don't see how to get GE-Star signaling anywhere..

Do any of you know how to set it up?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

MCS2000 mobiles will do it with the proper flash.

Radius M208/216 mobiles (a Maxtrac variant) will also do it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

HarrisonRHW wrote:OK so here's a new question...

I was surprised to see the GM300 could do it, mostly because, I am looking at a codeplug right now in the CPS, and I don't see how to get GE-Star signaling anywhere..

Do any of you know how to set it up?
First, it has to be a signalling capable model, 16 or 32 channels...8 channel units won't do it.

From the main menu: F4-->F7-->F7...this brings you to where you add signalling systems. Press F8 to add a system, then scroll with the up or down arrows until it says "STAR".
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
SoCalRescue

Post by SoCalRescue »

Is there anyway to get the Unity XG-100p to do GE Star PTT ID Encode?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”