What is FPP?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N7QQU-Ken
What radios do you own?: Saber Series, XTS 3000

What is FPP?

Post by N7QQU-Ken »

Hello All-

What is FPP and why is it desireable?

Thanks for not making me feel stupid... just trying to learn:)

73 - N7QQU - Ken
My "shrink" says I am addicted to the following radios:
Saber, Saber R, Systems Saber, Astro Saber, Astro Saber R, XTS3000 R and all the accessories I can find.
http://www.n7qqu.net
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: What is FPP?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

FPP = Front Panel Programmable.

It's a flashcode feature that allows the user to program a limited number of channel parameters from the keypad of the radio. Two radios on which it's available are the XTS5000 and the HT1550. The old JT1000 also had the feature available.

You end up with three levels of user selectability, first being the standard programmable controls on the radio, second being the FPP, and third being the CPS and computer. FPP allows you to do many things but not everything.

FPP is not permitted by the FCC on radios licensed by them for commercial use, meaning the state and local level. It is permitted by NTIA on federal government radios. Of course it's been a feature on ham HTs for many years.

The reason it's so popular are obvious. You don't have to dig out the computer to change frequencies, tone codes, etc.; you just do it from the front of the radio.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Also,

allegedly, the XTS2500 is capable of this, as well.

Also, there are supposed to be two types of FPP personalities, some have enabled both in their radios (allegedly) with some untoward side effects.

Additionally, the JT1000 needed a special doodad to force it into programming mode, right? It was either a thing that looked like the surveillance adapter, or a red battery - I forget which, now...

Shawn, adding stuff because batboard is the most referenced place for this kind of trivia, and wants his 3.5msec of fame.....

PS - legend has it that the government when synthesized radios started becoming prevalent over crystal-bound units, publically swore that they banned the ability to program commercial radios on the fly in order to reduce intentional interference with the public safety bands. Truthfully it was to help LMR shops maintain a revenue stream. Taking your radio to the shop to add a channel = $$ versus, you poke the stuff in yourself... Could be wrong, but would love to hear the real story though
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Yes, the 2500 can do FPP as well. JT 1000's did have a device which resembled the audio adaptor to enable FPP, but a "Government mod" was available to do FPP without the device attached. It is described in the JT1000 area of the "Radio specific" section. FPP is really convenient, because in my case I might show up at a hamfest & suddenly I need to be on a freq that I didn't plan on, & with FPP I don't have to go looking for a laptop. The red battery is for the Pro series radio. It's just sad new software doesn't exist to retrofit FPP to past radios like XTS3000's & Astro Sabers. 8) GARY N4KVE
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The new APX7000 series is capable of FPP as well, just as an FYI for the thread. Needs a dongle on the accessory connector, like the JT1000.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

wavetar wrote:The new APX7000 series is capable of FPP as well, just as an FYI for the thread. Needs a dongle on the accessory connector, like the JT1000.
It does not need the dongle if it has been flashed with the FPP feature in the flash features, see link.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p407528
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

...i have a spectra....

roffle.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Bovine Burgular! Moo!
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

6800 or 68000? :-p
Last edited by jmr061 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Guess I can't lock the entire topic, lets keep replies on track.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”