Motorola xts5000 chirp

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

astro1
New User

Motorola xts5000 chirp

Post by astro1 »

Hi guys & gals,

I am looking for info on how to apply the chirp to conv channels. After watching a video on YouTube I really have been determined on finding out how to apply is using CPS.

I have tried the help area on CPS and going through all the menus and search on google, I am sure someone out there can help me.

Thanks in advanced,

Astro1
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Motorola xts5000 chirp

Post by jmr061 »

It would be helpful to know exactly what "chirp" your talking about and what your using your radio for.

Jason
DiGiMoTo
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS3Ks, EFJ5100s

Post by DiGiMoTo »

I belive he's referring to the 'Sinful2001 XTS5000 Signaling' video. The NEXTEL Direct-Connect sounds
are probably edited into the audio track. Or so I've been told.
mike m

Post by mike m »

Why not just go all out and use one of the echo boxes at the link below.

Any obnoxious sound emanating from your radio will just make all the other users shut their radios off or simply run them over with a truck, you'll be the most popular guy around for about half a second.

http://cbworldinformer.com/200108/astatic_mobilemax.htm

Sorry mods if I'm out of line but I just hate squawking, beeping, chirping radios.
SYNTORX71MAN
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Not referring to MODAT are we? :lol:
When that rope tightens round your neck, You feel the Devil bite your @ss!!
JustinMoon205
What radios do you own?: APX7000, APX7500, GP280

Post by JustinMoon205 »

Are you maybe referring to the "talk permit tones"? The tones that sound (if programmed to do so) in trunked mode when you depress the PTT on the radio? 3 short low pitched beeps in quick sequence?

If so, then that is only available in trunking operation by default. You can mimick the sound using DTMF PTT ID with sidetones enabled and a very short DTMF duration length on the JEDI radios (HT1000, JT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, etc). I'm not sure about in the XTS5000 cause I've never done it, but if DTMF signaling is available as an option I would think it would work the same. You can search here under the search feature and you should find it discussed and exactly the parameters needed to make it work. "talk permit tone on conventional it can be done!"

Hope that helps.

-Justin
Archbishop, Church of /\/\otorola.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

This is the YouTube video he might be thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrBkRVo ... ature=fvwp

The short answer to the OP's question is yes, there are several methods of making your radio to various chirps and beeps, but they all require you to set up the software in somewhat complicated configurations. You could start by first looking at the video and listing the features that make noise on the XTS and then looking them up in the Help files of the CPS. The XTS is definitely not a simple radio and it takes quite a while to explore and understand its many capabilities.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
astro1
New User

Post by astro1 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:This is the YouTube video he might be thinking of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrBkRVo ... ature=fvwp

The short answer to the OP's question is yes, there are several methods of making your radio to various chirps and beeps, but they all require you to set up the software in somewhat complicated configurations. You could start by first looking at the video and listing the features that make noise on the XTS and then looking them up in the Help files of the CPS. The XTS is definitely not a simple radio and it takes quite a while to explore and understand its many capabilities.
Tom,

This is the video I am talking about and the chirp I am talking about is used @ 19 seconds in the video if anyone can please watch am take note at 19 sec and tell me how to apply that would be FANTASTIC :-)

Thanks from Australia,

Luke
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I looked and listened to the video. At 19 seconds your hearing MDC1200 being DECODED on a receive radio with DOS which mutes the MDC1200 decode once it starts to decode it. What your hearing is on the RECEIVE radio.

Jason
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

AFAIK, only one current Motorola radio allows you to have the radio chirp like a trunked radio on PTT when it's NOT a trunked radio and that radio is the TRBO. Almost everything else, as has been noted, is dependent on someone else's sending you a signal that makes your XTS5K make funny noises. (The APX and the XTS4K may also allow this but I'm not including them due to their current rarity.)

As an aside, but something that should have been mentioned when this thread began, is that there are several old threads on this Board covering the exact same subject which, generally stated, is "People hear chirps and want to make their radios do the same thing."
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

Had someone ask about this a couple of weeks ago. If you looking for a transmit "chirp" you can activate it in the secure options. Go to Secure, Secure Configuration, Advanced, and set the TX clear alert tones. Of course this only works if you are not using a secure channel.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

The big question is WHY....
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

They thought it was cool. I guess in certain circumstances a chirp to know you've pressed the PTT would be helpful. Our SFS and FIre people who keep radios on their belt and use external mics or some type of headgear setup? Basically they just thought it was cool.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

misawatech wrote:They thought it was cool. I guess in certain circumstances a chirp to know you've pressed the PTT would be helpful. Our SFS and FIre people who keep radios on their belt and use external mics or some type of headgear setup? Basically they just thought it was cool.
I think that's it. Someone once keyed down a local repeater for 7 hours because they left a radio on and laid it down so that the PTT was stuck down. So for that repeater I applied talk permit tones to the personality so if I ever accidentally press PTT I will have some feedback that I have done so...
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

akardam

Post by akardam »

bezking wrote:I think that's it. Someone once keyed down a local repeater for 7 hours because they left a radio on and laid it down so that the PTT was stuck down. So for that repeater I applied talk permit tones to the personality so if I ever accidentally press PTT I will have some feedback that I have done so...
And setting up a ToT on the subscriber or the infrastructure (prefferably both) can keep problems like this from becoming anything more than a minor nuisance.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

Good points. I look forward to the day our trunk system is online so we can control the way the radios are used. Our biggest problem is encrypiton and every now an then a stuck PTT. People that have used encryption for years are still not familiar with loading keys and how to use it to their benefit. One example - Trying to load a key from slot 36 when we only use one slot.
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Post by MOEtorola »

At 19seconds the chirp heard is MDC1200, but partly muted due to the DOS mute setting, The tone you hear when he keys the radio, kinda like four or so beeps is astro conventional. On Astro convetional u can still setup talkgroups and Radio ID's and not be on a trunking system.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”