CDM Remote Mount failure

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scottmlq
New User

CDM Remote Mount failure

Post by scottmlq »

Hello all -- oddball problem with a remote mount kit and would appreciate any input. Took a good, working CDM 1250 and installed a remote-mount kit into vehicle. While testing I found that on transmit the radio stayed keyed up after releasing the mic button. Powered down, tried a different mic, same problem. Reverse-installed and put the radio back together (no remote mount) and found normal operation. Checked continuity of the remote cable - checked ok. Reinstalled remote-mount and the radio wouldn't power up. Reverse-installed again and put the radio back together...again. Still found normal operation in the reassembled configuration.

So, now the fun started. Pulled an entirely new new remote-mount kit and new cable and bench-tested in the remote-mount configuration....no power-up as before in the original remote-mount configuration in the vehicle. Reverse-installed again with the radio back together and it works just fine.

When I bench-tested the remote-mount with the new remote-mount kit I used new flex connectors as well as new control head and transceiver faceplates. I'm at a loss on this one. If the original failure blew something on the remote-mount kit the new kit should have worked ok...but it didn't . I'd appreciate any comments and insights.

Thanks very much.
Bill_G

Re: CDM Remote Mount failure

Post by Bill_G »

Troubleshooting in the vehicle, I would put a dummy load on the antenna port to see if rf is keeping the radio keyed.

Troubleshooting on the bench with the new kit, I would have someone else check your work just in case you overlooked something.
scottmlq
New User

Re: CDM Remote Mount failure

Post by scottmlq »

Thanks Bill. Follow-up -- RF output was normal. However, I did find that on the bench the power supply wasn't maintaining 10+ amps, which got me thinking that when I tested in the vehicle I did not have the engine on...but rather tested w/ the ignition in the accessory position. After swapping for a new power supply on the bench...normal operation. After running the vehicle and testing, normal operation. Am guessing that the remote-mount configuration pulls just a bit more power and lack of power was causing the failure. Careless on my part but good outcome. Appreciate the reply.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”