Changing the transmit power in a ASTRO Sprectra

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Changing the transmit power in a ASTRO Sprectra

Post by wa8iqo »

I recently purchased a Phantom Elite Low Profile antenna for my high power ASTRO Spectra mobile. The antenna is rated for a 60 watt maximum output.

I want to drop the 110 watt output of the radios drawer to 60 watts max. I would also like to program a control head button for "Low Power" and have that set around 15 watts or so. I do not know how to change the transmit power. The button configuring is pretty straight forward. But changing the new power setting is some thing I have never done or even know how to start. Can some one brake the process down for me?

Here are the stats on project per the read in CPS:

Radio Model Number: T04KLH9PW9AN
Firmware Version: Unknown
DSP Version: Unknown
System Package: G48
Flash Code: 540001-000000-4
Control Head: HCN1078F
DEK #1: HLN1365A

I'm using Astro Spectra CPS Version: R05.02.00

Thank everyone!

do this in CPS
Brad - WA8IQO
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: Changing the transmit power in a ASTRO Sprectra

Post by jmr061 »

The setting is in the tuner program which is different than the CPS. Biggie here though, the high power radio is rated at 50- 110 watts. Anything other than that would be out of spec. I know there are issues with setting the output power too low that causes the transmit to be all messed up and non functional.

In order to set it with the tuner you also need a service monitor or watt meter hooked up to the radio since the tuner sets the output in steps and not by watts.

I'd personally grab a 50 watt spectra and exchange all the boards with your hi power astro (except the PA obviously) and then retune the power out settings for 25 low and 50 high. The front internconnect from a normal spectra will work with astro spectra boards however you won't be able to do flash upgrades with it.

Jason
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Post by wa8iqo »

Well, that sucks...

So, if I understand you correctly, the lowest I could go is 50 watts?

But If I do that, I could start having problems or are you saying any setting below 50 watts would give me problems?

I would be ok with just a setting of 50, but as far a swapping out boards and so forth... Probably not so much... Just seams like it would be easier to put the hi power whip back on. That would only take me few minutes.

Brad
Brad - WA8IQO
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

wa8iqo wrote:Well, that sucks...

So, if I understand you correctly, the lowest I could go is 50 watts?

But If I do that, I could start having problems or are you saying any setting below 50 watts would give me problems?

I would be ok with just a setting of 50, but as far a swapping out boards and so forth... Probably not so much... Just seams like it would be easier to put the hi power whip back on. That would only take me few minutes.

Brad

You can turn down the power with the tuner software settings. But like the other poster said, do not go below the 50 watt point. The PA becomes unstable and will start to generate crap like a comb generator. The only way to see this is with a spectrum analyzer and look at the frequency output.

There is no way to have a low - high power switch. You can however, program a channel to low power in the software per mode. Then you would have to remember if the channel was low or high power. But the 3 db change is not worth the trouble.

Jim
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Jim202 wrote:
wa8iqo wrote: But the 3 db change is not worth the trouble.

Jim
Yes it is. I am running a MCS 2000 100 watt UHF radio here in West Palm Beach Florida. I usually leave the radio at the 50 watt setting for talking to the guys on the local repeater. The MCS does allow a hi/lo power switch. However some times I need to speak to my buddies in Miami, 60 miles south. My signal goes from "We can't hear you Gary, to you're full quieting now". I am already using a 6 db antenna, so the extra power does help for repeaters 2 counties south. GARY N4KVE
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The astro spectra also does allow a low power button to be programmed on the control head so you can change power.

Jason

Return to “Radio Programming”