GMRS/FRS Radio Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

billy7834

GMRS/FRS Radio Question

Post by billy7834 »

I have a question about how the different GMRS/FRS bubble pack radios are marketed. I am well aware of the differences between those and commercial quality GMRS radios with repeater capabilities. What I don't know is what criteria is used by the manufacturers (including Motorola) when they advertise the different ranges of the bubble pack radios. For example, a manufacturer will have in their GMRS/FRS line radios that they advertise the range as 5 mile, 8 mile, 12 mile, 20 mile and even higher. These are for allegedly different levels of GMRS/FRS radios in their product line. So, are they different? And if so, how? I know, of course, that the actual numbers are meaningless, but can one expect better performance from one that is marketed at 26 miles as opposed to 10 miles from the same manufacturer?
mr.syntrx

Re: GMRS/FRS Radio Question

Post by mr.syntrx »

Nope. It's all marketing hype and lies.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

What's interesting is most of these FRS radios put out .5 watts. So a claim of over 10 miles is ridiculously funny. I guess some are now putting out 2 watts (the GMRS / FRS / weather combo radios ) that are now claiming 20+ miles. Again, funny as hell. What's interesting is (I know they've been doing this for awhile now) is how these little radios have BOTH weather (on VHF) AND FRS on UHF all in the same radio. I always thought that was neat, yet we have these radios that cost thousands of dollars that only do one band lol
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I echo what was written above. It's all lies. You can't have the same exact design radios, using the same exact type of non-removable antennas, give widely differing results. But remember what Barnum said about the fact that there is a sucker born every minute who reads that crap on the packaging and believes it.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

I was in RadioShack yesterday, and I walked over to the parts drawers to get what I needed, and saw a guy talking with the sales rep, looking over and comparing the various FRS/GMRS bubble-pack radios, comparing the ranges... "Oh, this one does 25 miles, and this one does 31, and..." I don't know why I didn't go over there and tell him the truth about all of them, but after the customer had purchased his radios and left, I went to cash out my parts, and as the guy was ringing me up, I casually mentioned, "You know, in reality, all of those walkie-talkies work roughly the same..." to which the rep nodded and responded under his breath, "Yeah. I know."

Makes me wish I had told the customer the truth!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
billy7834

Post by billy7834 »

The GMRS/FRS combos with 22 channels can put out 2 watts on the GMRS channels. So, if you have 2 Motorola GMRS/FRS radios transmitting at 2 watts on a GMRS channel it doesn't matter if you bought the one that says 10 miles on the pack or paid more for the one that says 28 miles on the pack. The range should be virtually the same, correct?
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

To add to the reality here, if you look at the actual FCC type acceptance documents, most of these radios don't put out anywhere near their claimed power outputs. I know they all vary a bit, but while they'll claim 500mw on FRS and 2 watts on GMRS, they often have drastically lower "real" power outputs. Look up a few on the FCC OET search and you will see what I mean.
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

billy7834 wrote:The GMRS/FRS combos with 22 channels can put out 2 watts on the GMRS channels. So, if you have 2 Motorola GMRS/FRS radios transmitting at 2 watts on a GMRS channel it doesn't matter if you bought the one that says 10 miles on the pack or paid more for the one that says 28 miles on the pack. The range should be virtually the same, correct?
In theory - yes. In reality - YMMV.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

So when I hit the space station with my CP200 and a Yagi can I say it has a 200 mile range???
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

escomm wrote:So when I hit the space station with my CP200 and a Yagi can I say it has a 200 mile range???
Don't be silly! That's 400 mile range... round-trip!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

Post by kb2crk »

escomm wrote:So when I hit the space station with my CP200 and a Yagi can I say it has a 200 mile range???
you would be telling the truth......
or at least a version thereof.....
just call me dos impaired.... lol
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I also agree with all above.
You will not get that type of range period.
Not to steal someones else qoate but rather repeat it.
YOU WONT GET 25 MILE RANGE FROM 3 AA BATTERIES.
8) :lol:
satelite

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”