Options for Analogue Motorcycle Radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Options for Analogue Motorcycle Radios

Post by mrtor »

What do I need go looking for with regards to an Analogue Uhf 470 - 490 mhz band that can be uaed on a motorcycle in the Used market ?

I see Astro Spectras flashed as P25 around but nothing else..I am assuming there must be other options in just analogue relm but haven't seen any.

Any clues appreciated

Thanks
Mike
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Re: Options for Analogue Motorcycle Radios

Post by mikegilbert »

Check out the Vertex CNT-5000 kit, which works with the VX-4000, 5500 and 6000 mobiles. There are weatherproof speakers available as well. I guess it could be considered a Motorola now that they have purchased Vertex Standard.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/Mobiles/VX-5500#

mrtor

Post by mrtor »

mikegilbert wrote:Check out the Vertex CNT-5000 kit, which works with the VX-4000, 5500 and 6000 mobiles. There are weatherproof speakers available as well. I guess it could be considered a Motorola now that they have purchased Vertex Standard.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/Mobiles/VX-5500#

Thanks for that, looks really nice but my budget won't extend to new gear and I doubt there will be many of these in the USED market.

Any other suggestions on what I should look for in the 2nd hand/used market ?
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

You can look for a legacy Spectra, they came in m/c configs. I would expect one could be had for a very low price. You may need to post a WTB ad.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Look for a motorcycle Spectra. They pop up from time to time. I have a few, but they are in the 438-470 split. Actually, the only 438-470 Spectras I've ever seen were the motorcycle variants. However, I'm sure some were produced in the split you need. Since they were for motorcycles, which had small batteries, they were tuned to 15 watts tx power, but could probably do a little more. A great radio, but plan on having the "time bomb caps" replaced if it hasn't been done yet. GARY N4KVE
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

N4KVE wrote:Look for a motorcycle Spectra. They pop up from time to time. I have a few, but they are in the 438-470 split. Actually, the only 438-470 Spectras I've ever seen were the motorcycle variants. However, I'm sure some were produced in the split you need. Since they were for motorcycles, which had small batteries, they were tuned to 15 watts tx power, but could probably do a little more. A great radio, but plan on having the "time bomb caps" replaced if it hasn't been done yet. GARY N4KVE
Thanks guys, so looks like spectra is the go then. I will go scrounging :-)

Cheers
Mike

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”