recasing a GP328 Waris Portable

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

recasing a GP328 Waris Portable

Post by mrtor »

Good Afternoon from Sunny Melbourne

I have a box full of GP328's that are dead

I have a few (8) GP328's that are looking scrappy and would like nicer on a better case.

Is it difficult to recase a GP328 for someone who has never done it before or should I just pay the money ?

Any traps or tips for new players appreciated plus, do I need any special tools to get them apart without destroying it :-)

My local M shop wants $120 per one to recase them, what I have got to lose ?

Thanks in advance
Mike
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: recasing a GP328 Waris Portable

Post by escomm »

They are not particularly difficult. Refurb kits are about $40 plus you'll need to buy the nameplate separately. $120 seems a bit excessive on the labor side. Only takes about 15 minutes per radio.
candrist
What radios do you own?: XPR5550/7550, MTS2000 800MHz

Post by candrist »

They are in the moderately difficult category. I did mine and destroyed a flex cable. Luckily it was a cheap flex, but they can be difficult.

I should have recorded mine to share.

When you take it apart remove the flex that is not permanently attached and connect It back to the board. This way it will be out of the way.

Next take off the sticker that is holding the side flex and remove the side flex, gently.

Remove the speaker and mic.

Then tackle the keypad and LCD now that the flex cables are out of the way.

Hope that helps.
mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Post by mrtor »

candrist wrote:They are in the moderately difficult category. I did mine and destroyed a flex cable. Luckily it was a cheap flex, but they can be difficult.

I should have recorded mine to share.

When you take it apart remove the flex that is not permanently attached and connect It back to the board. This way it will be out of the way.

Next take off the sticker that is holding the side flex and remove the side flex, gently.

Remove the speaker and mic.

Then tackle the keypad and LCD now that the flex cables are out of the way.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that i will try tomorrow and see how i go :-)

Cheers
Michael

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”