yukon or tahoe? for ease of install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

yukon or tahoe? for ease of install

Post by giguchan »

Hey all,
A buddy (and probably me too) will be purchasing an SUV the choices are Chevy or GMC Yukon or Tahoe. My Question to all is a Yukon easier to install than the Chevy? I think they are pretty much the same. I should point out that he(and me too when the time comes) are looking for an SUV that does not have a center console- if there is such a thing or one that can removed and a jotto or some kind of console to be installed for installation of a few cdm heads. I know that some of you have the "public service PKG" that comes with heavy duty everything and that rubber floor mat. I am trying to steer clear of this. I figure anything after 2008 would be good. I've already installed in my old frailblazer so I kinda have an idea about that. I was also wondering if any particular year is better than another- again for the ease of install.

I remember seeing a beautiful black either chevy or GMC on this site somewhere... it was just a beautiful truck and very well equipped. Thanks for the assistance.
Last edited by giguchan on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
STEVE W

Re: yukon or tahoe? for ease of install

Post by STEVE W »

I have a 2010 Tahoe and it has a center console and I used a jotto desk topper, mine was fully loaded so if you are goung to use CDMs they will have to be remote mounted and the only place I coud put the unit was in the arm rest storage area. Antenna wise I had an MSS shop that is ham freindly install the three antennas on the roof. I have a CDM1550, TK780 kenwood and aPro2026 RS scanner. the CDM is remote but the other two are not and I had to due a little cutting to get them in. Good luck.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey steve,
Thanks for the reply. The CDM'S were already set up for remote install - so that wont be a problem. I don't have an issue with pulling down the liner so I have access from both sides. I'll go with a small drill bit enough to get the chassis punch and then go from there... hole saws are messy and un professional looking. it will just be for the 2 CDM heads up front. tell me something does the Chevy still have the sort of "cut out area" in the cargo area of the truck? I remember my old TB did.

My Main concern was up front... and you helped me with that.
Thanks again.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

How is using a hole saw for the exact purpose of what its designed for unprofessional. Messy only if you don't vacuum the shavings off when you drill.
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

There is not any storage compartments in the third seat area, one side has the jack but the other side may just be hollow as I have not any need for that type of storage as yet. I have the thrird row seats out and stored and am using 3 totes to keep my equipment in. i hope that answers your question. By the way what year are looking at?
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

FireCpt809 wrote:How is using a hole saw for the exact purpose of what its designed for unprofessional. Messy only if you don't vacuum the shavings off when you drill.

I've used both. I just like a cleaner hole on both sides.. no need for any vacuuming at all... most people don't use them because you need access to both sides of the roof. if you work in a busy shop that turns out a lot of vehicles everyday.. I can see where that would be an issue pulling down a liner can eat up some valuable time. I like to install. I am under no time limits. I can take my time pull down my liner and run my lines and then button it up again.

They both are designed to do the same job... one just does it differently.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

STEVE W wrote:There is not any storage compartments in the third seat area, one side has the jack but the other side may just be hollow as I have not any need for that type of storage as yet. I have the thrird row seats out and stored and am using 3 totes to keep my equipment in. i hope that answers your question. By the way what year are looking at?

It wont be a new one that's for sure.... and that is another question.... I really don't know... A lot of the FD's around here use them... I think I am going to take a look around and see. It will be between 2010-2011I have not had much luck with either chevy or GMC... but as I said before I really don't have a choice. Room is the Main thing here.. these trucks can with a little coaxing and some wiring can be turned into a nice Mobile station. I cant do that with my 4-runner or Sequoia(which was my first choice) My Buddy has an accord - wont even go there.We are Both in the same situation... his is more desperate he needs something quick... I don't.

In the rear cargo area of my old company TB(forgot what year) there was a flip up top I mounted the radios UHF/VHF in there... then I ran the Data cable up front.
Last edited by giguchan on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

As far as installation goes, they are identical. The differences are cosmetic and $$. With the Yukon, you will have more leather and woodgrain trim to deal with, but other than that you can expect all the screws and clips to be in the same locations on either vehicle. As the GMCs are more uplevel, I don't think you have much chance finding one without a factory console. I don't even think the folding center seat was an option on them like the Tahoe.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey there,
Thanks for the reply.... just looking around today online and stopping along the road at used dealerships and random people(asking first don't wanna get my head blown off) you are correct. The Yukon is a bit fancier.. and most of the Tahoe's I saw were- well less fancy... none of the ones I saw today were the "bare bones fleet vehicle type".The local University uses those for everything. I can have a look in their Tahoe's and see whats what. I am glad to know that the install will be pretty much the same... and if I decide to go the fancy route- which I doubt- it might be kinda hard to put a jotto in the middle of some fancy wood.. and trim.. that might be like installing a Mocom 70 in a range rover! I think that the time comes... The Tahoe might be just the ticket. I don't know what kind of "fanciness" I'll find under a factory console. I mean if it means backing out a couple of screws or bolts pulling it out then that's ok, but I worry about factory electronics and other stuff... I also like to camp, hunt fish, water sports, and Bike. leather might be a bit much. I would also like to upgrade my pop up trailer to a small to mid sized Travel trailer... MY 4-runner wont be able to deal with that comfortably.
Thanks for everything.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

I think my Tahoe had all the options on it, I traded in a 2004 Explorer for it and this This Tahoe had only 23K on it but I paid big bucks. I was lokking for a low milage truck as I only had 57K on the Ford, most of the ones I looked at had 70-80K on the clock. It has more toys than I need but the only trck with a column shift. Good luck finding what you want..
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Steve,
thanks for the information... yes. The Shifter on the floor might look great... but it gets in the way when trying to install radios.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

giguchan wrote:Hey there,
Thanks for the reply.... just looking around today online and stopping along the road at used dealerships and random people(asking first don't wanna get my head blown off) you are correct. The Yukon is a bit fancier.. and most of the Tahoe's I saw were- well less fancy... none of the ones I saw today were the "bare bones fleet vehicle type".The local University uses those for everything. I can have a look in their Tahoe's and see whats what. I am glad to know that the install will be pretty much the same... and if I decide to go the fancy route- which I doubt- it might be kinda hard to put a jotto in the middle of some fancy wood.. and trim.. that might be like installing a Mocom 70 in a range rover! I think that the time comes... The Tahoe might be just the ticket. I don't know what kind of "fanciness" I'll find under a factory console. I mean if it means backing out a couple of screws or bolts pulling it out then that's ok, but I worry about factory electronics and other stuff... I also like to camp, hunt fish, water sports, and Bike. leather might be a bit much. I would also like to upgrade my pop up trailer to a small to mid sized Travel trailer... MY 4-runner wont be able to deal with that comfortably.
Thanks for everything.
Any LT trim Tahoe would almost certainly come with the Bose amplifier in the console, which makes installing any aftermarket console more difficult. Stick to looking at the LS or fleet models if you want ease. Most of your LS models have the jump seat which can be pulled out and sold on ebay in 5 minutes.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
STEVE W

Post by STEVE W »

Thanks resqguy911, I was wundering what that was, i was able to get a remote cdm and 2 complete units in with out too much trouble
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

thanks for the reply this will be great help... the less I have to deal with the better.. although the fleet bit is looking better and better every day... I poked my head into a beautiful Tahoe in the market lot today it had everything... gear shifter on the column and I believe it was the Jump seat in the middle.. yank it out like a bad tooth and in goes the Jotto..
Thanks again..
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”