Radio Advice - XTS3000 or Astro Saber

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tbergman
New User

Radio Advice - XTS3000 or Astro Saber

Post by tbergman »

Hello all

I am looking into purchasing two radios, VHF and a UHF. I am looking into using these on the Ham Bands along with a few P25 conventional monitoring frequencies. I am aware that these two radios are very similar. My questions are, is there an advantage of going with an XTS3000? Is there any particular software issues to look out for? Does it make a difference if I buy a radio from Canada?

The specific radio I am looking at right now is on ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/190902163410?ss ... 1423.l2649

Thanks
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Re: Radio Advice - XTS3000 or Astro Saber

Post by MT2000 man »

If you do go the Astro Saber route, make sure you have the Astro Saber programing cables, and a RIB box to program them. The XTS3000's DO have a ribless cable ( although not a Motorola product ) and this makes programing much easier.

As for what to get, I REALLY like the thinner profile of the Astro Saber. And with the high capacity shorty batteries, makes them almost the size of a Jedi anyway. So I'd go with an Astro Saber over an XTS3000. TO my ears, the P25 always sounded better on an Astro Saber vs. the 3000.

Only advantages of an XTS3000's are they are somewhat newer ( now of course they are both well past thier EOL ), and all the 3000's have 1 MEG boards, whereas the Astro Sabers had a mix of 512K, and 1MEG's.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

That particular radio the seller has is a 512k radio. 1 meg is preferred, especially at his asking price. The radios are quite similar electrically, & use the same programming software. It boils down to which form factor you prefer, but read up here about flash codes, & firmware, as that radio had old 512k firmware. GARY
KF5LSC
What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Post by KF5LSC »

It is really up to you. I guess the only thing to consider would be that XTS3000 and XTS5000 accessories will work with each other, so in case you ever upgrade to a 5K you wouldn't be out a speaker mic or batteries.

The Astro Saber programming cable and a generic RIB are available on eBay, I paid less than $40 for my cable and RIB (both from seller kawamall) and I have had no issues.

Having both an Astro Saber and XTS series in daily use, the only real usability issue I've noticed is that, since the Astro Saber's screen is recessed into the radio somewhat, it is hard to see what is on the display unless you are looking at the radio dead-on. The XTS screen seems to have better "off-axis" viewability. The XTS also has a backlit keypad, whereas only the screen is backlit on the Astro Saber.

Of course, these are just nitpicks on differences between the two radios. Your mileage may vary.
tbergman
New User

Post by tbergman »

Thanks for the reply and input, its still a hard decision but I am probably going to go with an XTS3K. The ability to program with a ribless cable and the accs. will work with a 5k which I suspect that i will be upgrading to in the future are large advantages.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

tbergman wrote:Thanks for the reply and input, its still a hard decision but I am probably going to go with an XTS3K. The ability to program with a ribless cable and the accs. will work with a 5k which I suspect that i will be upgrading to in the future are large advantages.

Good choice. Interoperability is really key especially since you might be getting 5000's down the line, the 3000 is a no brainier.

I haven't personally owned an Astro Saber in a good 7 years or so. Only played around with an XTS3000 UHF model III for a month or so before I traded it for something else. Good radio. People complain because it is a "thick" radio which it is, but that's not too much of an issue for me. Tell you one thing, the Impress batteries weigh a TON less than the Ultra High capacity NiMh batteries. So if you do get an XTS3000, invest in some nice Impress batteries.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

tbergman wrote:Thanks for the reply and input, its still a hard decision but I am probably going to go with an XTS3K. The ability to program with a ribless cable and the accs. will work with a 5k which I suspect that i will be upgrading to in the future are large advantages.
The 3000 ribless cable will not work with the 5000.. Other than that all the accessories are the same
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

IIRC, the only major difference that the 1MB boards on the AS did was provide enhancements for trunked systems (would need to confirm with release notes - but thats what I recall). The DSP would accept the latest revision that the 1MB board used.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Although the XTS has a larger display, I personally felt that the AS display was somewhat cleaner. To each their own!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

IIRC, the only major difference that the 1MB boards on the AS did was provide enhancements for trunked systems (would need to confirm with release notes - but thats what I recall). The DSP would accept the latest revision that the 1MB board used.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Although the XTS has a larger display, I personally felt that the AS display was somewhat cleaner. To each their own!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
tbergman
New User

Post by tbergman »

Well, I went with an XTS3K MII. Just waiting on the case to come in. This is an upgrade from a CP200XLS and its quite an upgrade for me. I went with a high capacity NIMH battery and the thing is a little heavy but hey.

Quick question as this would be a bonus if the radio can do it, does the most current flash support QC II?
p47r4ck

Post by p47r4ck »

tbergman wrote:Well, I went with an XTS3K MII. Just waiting on the case to come in. This is an upgrade from a CP200XLS and its quite an upgrade for me. I went with a high capacity NIMH battery and the thing is a little heavy but hey.

Quick question as this would be a bonus if the radio can do it, does the most current flash support QC II?
Sadly no QQ on the 3000, only Single Tone >_<.

QQ support on the 2500's though! (Not sure about the 5000)

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”