This is a good fused protection circuit

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

This is a good fused protection circuit

Post by escomm »

I love working on transit buses

Bill_G

Re: This is a good fused protection circuit

Post by Bill_G »

At least he used insulated terminals!
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Nice 40 amp ... surprised it lasted that long .. I used to know a guy who used 2 t-taps as fuse holders put them next to each other pop a fuse in and cut the wire in between... Total hack
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I suppose it was better than the bus with the ground wires that were just twisted around each other and e-taped. Wish I had gotten a picture of that one before making her happy again :D
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

School buses are definitely a challenge. You really never know what you are going to find in the wiring. Almost as bad as dump trucks with a half million miles and five previous owners.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

FireCpt809 wrote:Nice 40 amp ... surprised it lasted that long .. I used to know a guy who used 2 t-taps as fuse holders put them next to each other pop a fuse in and cut the wire in between... Total hack
WOW!!!!! What a time saver, I'll try that! J/K........... :lol:
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

Bill_G wrote:School buses are definitely a challenge. You really never know what you are going to find in the wiring. Almost as bad as dump trucks with a half million miles and five previous owners.
You mean like this?

Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
dawson75
What radios do you own?: the kind you talk on

Post by dawson75 »

I drive transit bus Jeff and I see that to often , Next time Im on the bus Ill snap a pic of the horrors.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

Would there be interest in a 'Wall of Shame' of pics of bad installs, both vehicles & infrastructure? I know I have several pictures I could contribute. Oy veh!
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

I would like to see a wall of shame topic. Might be good for people to learn from too. I have seen a few here and there in the posts. I can't count how many times I have been asked to troubleshoot a problem in a cruiser only to find really poor install work being the problem. The last one I found was a lighting issue, the department was convinced that the switch box had failed somehow and wanted me to see if I could fix it. The overhead rotators would quit working after a couple of minutes, but after being off for a while, they would work again. Before tearing out their console and switch box, I followed the wires to a melted mass of some crimp connectors that looked to of been crimped by some pliers or something. As the mass got hot, the wires would loose connection, once it cooled back down, it would work. I didn't think to snap a picture though.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”