systems saber 3 secure query

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chrisryan99uk

Post by chrisryan99uk »

HI I have a systems saber 3 secure capable radio that is currently fitted with the secure bypass module ntn4270.
Now, if I remove this and replace it with a ntn4713b secure module, the radio doesn't appear to power up, the display is blank, even trying to read it fails.
Replacing the ntn4713 with the ntn4720 and all is ok again.
I have tried three different ntn4713 modules that all work fine in standard sabers.
My query really is does the systems saber need an different module or should the ntn4713b work.
Thanks for any replies and happy new year to all.
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

I am facing a similar problem, any solution? VHF Systems Saber III and DES-XL module NTN4714B

After installing the module, radio is dead.

Erik
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

And just tried the NTN4714B module to a Systems Saber I UHF, and it does not work on that one either.

NTN5763B module which was in the UHF radio, works in the VHF radio.

Erik
mantooth51
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by mantooth51 »

I hate to tell you this, but you may have a problem with the radio. Have you tried to see if the radio will even read after you install the module and it appears to die???

I had the same probelm a few years ago and upon taking the radio apart i found a slight bit of water damage in the area of the board where th module slides in .

That's just what happened to me, you could try putting the module in the uhf and then,even if it appears to be dead, try loading a key anyway and see what happens.

Hope that works out for you.

Randy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mantooth51 on 2002-01-14 21:46 ]</font>
chrisryan99uk

Post by chrisryan99uk »

Hi all
Yep, I tried two different Systems saber 3's
Both VHF and Three ntn4174b modules, no luck on any.
The modules all work fine in UHF standard sabers though.
The systems saber 3's work fine with the bypass modules installed.

The radio WILL NOT read with the ntn4174 module in it.

Guess the systems sabers may need a different module
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

So the problem get solved if we found some official information from the big M that this series of Securenet modules are not compatible with Systems Saber radios.

This could be a undocumented issue, as there are eg. two different models of DES-XL modules for Saber radios:
NTN4714 and NTN5835, but no mention of their interchangeability or incompatibility to certain radios.

So if this information of the intercompatibility of these modules are found somewhere, information appreciated!

Erik
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

The Systems Saber is probably set up for Multi-key operation and the modules you have are single key.

Just a thought!

10-95
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

Ok I have to look on that one when I get home

Thanks!
Erik
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

Sorry, no go.

The VHF Systems Saber was configured for multi key ops, but reducing the key to one and the disabling the whole multi-key option did not do any good. The radio stayed dead.

The securecomm module had to be removed from the radio during programming, as the radio did not respond to RSS when in the "deadmode"

So a simple conclusion is that the NTN4714B module is NOT COMPATIBLE with Systems Saber radio. I just want to find it somewhere officially, can anyone give a pointer where to confirm this?

Regards,
Erik
Nick

Post by Nick »

On 2002-01-15 13:48, chrisryan99uk wrote:
Hi all
Yep, I tried two different Systems saber 3's
Both VHF and Three ntn4174b modules, no luck on any.
The modules all work fine in UHF standard sabers though.
The systems saber 3's work fine with the bypass modules installed.

The radio WILL NOT read with the ntn4174 module in it.

Guess the systems sabers may need a different module
Chris check your PM.

Nick
chrisryan99uk

Post by chrisryan99uk »

Hi Nick, I didn't get any PM sorry

I have changed my profile and put in another address, should be ok now

Chris
CyberSlicer
Batboard $upporter

Post by CyberSlicer »

The Saber and Systems Saber encryption modules are not interchangeable.

Don
ricciticcitembo

Post by ricciticcitembo »

You got that correct dude. I have also noticed that. As well as the
fact that if you try and load a late model des/des-xl in a saber/syssaber (correct module in each) with a plain jane 3020bx,
it won't load either regardless if you turn xl off in the radio. there may NOT even be a DES module that works in a syssaber at all. I got 3 flavors of it and no-go. XL in either dvp or des or even dvi is a better bet.

if you put the syssaber module in a regular saber it will power up ok
and it will not load a key.(as opposed to the syssaber dead with a regular saber mod. in it)

It COULD be posible that maybe CERTAIN encryption modules are
interchangeable however i don't have enough equipment at this point to verify this for sure. And you would probably need at least a DX ver keyLoader even to attempt it. I got only BX/CX and so far no-go. It seems difficult to even make the radios talk to each other.
I think the best bet would be the des-xl.

Over the years M has made a multitude of encryption equipment
that is completely incompatible with each other. Even I have a whole drawer full of Modules that aren't even listed on the main Batlabs site, and I only started playing with this stuff six months ago. Just look at how many revisions of keyloaders available for the SAME TYPE of encryption. Also the fact that a 3014 could NEVER work on a regular DVP. :evil: Which is in direct contrast to the 3011 series. And it is no wonder that they came up with the KVL3000. They probably couldn't take it anymore either!
Stupid incompatibilities. Or do they just do it to make it difficult? Probably. Oh well, get used to it and welcome to Motorola.

If there are any radio geniuses out there that would care to elaborate on this issue, I'd be most receptive to it. But I won't hold my breath on this one, as the topic seems to be taboo here, as well
as trunking too for that matter. I guess some things are better left unsaid. Just keep buying more crap until you eventually have EVERYTHING, and then little incompatibilites won't bother you so much. thats what I do, but it can get expensive which is nothing new either. I'm done now.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”