Carrying programming equipment options

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CPD534

Carrying programming equipment options

Post by CPD534 »

Hi all,

As I have gathered many programming cables, laptops and other radio programming equipment over the years I am finally realizing the need to consolidate in one bag for easy transport in the field. I am curious as to what method everyone uses. Laptop bag, duffel bag, some other method?

Let's hear from everyone as to what they use to lug their programming equipment around. If possible please be specific on bags etc.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: Carrying programming equipment options

Post by bezking »

I have an old Dell laptop bag that's more like a briefcase. The programming laptop goes in the main pouch (obviously), the programming cables in a secondary large pocket, the USB-Serial converter, RIB, and laptop AC adapter in another, and burned CDs with software in another (just in case).
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

Will

Post by Will »

Our programming cables are in individual heavy duty Zip Loc bags so the cables do not get tangled up and broken.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I have a small flat case in my backpack with my "common" cables inside, and a Pelican 1650 with the boatanchor laptop and all the other cables for less common stuff.
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

I use a plano worm wrap medium bag that I added extra pouches into to hold my cables, and everything goes in a pelican case with the laptop (Toughbook) for windows programming and a HP 200LX for the dos programs. Holds everything nice and secure and I can see which cable I want easily without having to dig and it protects each one I need.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

I have an old soft briefcase with shoulder strap that I picked up at Lands End years ago. The laptop and all cables will fit in it pretty well for most needs.

I do keep the cables in zip lock bags to keep them separate and neatly coiled.

If I need to carry more stuff than just the programming gear, I usually move everything over into an LL Bean backpack.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Plastic bags in laptop bag. Take what I need into the field. Leave the rest at the shop.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i have this old school nintendo soft case for the cables and a small small power supply, i have an old boat anchore for the older radios

and i use my dell for the newer stuff. seeing how i am mostly doing TRBO now i really only need 2 cables
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

I have a bunch of the "GLIS" organizer boxes from IKEA I keep programming cables in. I have one for Motorola, one for Kenwood/Icom and one for odds and ends. For 3.99 and sometimes you can get them for 3 for 5, they are pretty handy.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I use Ziploc bags that have the white label space on them where I write the radio model that the cable fits. I've also found I need a relatively deep case to keep the cables from getting squashed which would result in damage to termination connectors.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

I've attached the double sided velcro stuff used to organize cabling behind computers and what not. That, along with the heavy-duty ziploc bags that have the plastic slider keeps things very neat and tidy. I have an old Targus computer case that has a large storage compartment for all my cables on one side, a nice paded section for the latop and two large zipper compartments which both fit a 1 inch binder perfectly.
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

I use a old Dell Laptop case. I keep cables in the Zip-lock bags and labeled by HT or Mobile model. Yeah, tangled cables are definitely NO FUN. Also handy is a small precision Phillips and flat blade such as a WIHA or similar. Sometimes you need more than one outlet, stuffing a small power strip into the pocket is good too.
Radio Tech Troubleshooting Golden Rule #1: Check your connections

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”