XPR7550 Feedback - How is it?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

XPR7550 Feedback - How is it?

Post by N6LAU »

I was just curious if any members here have bought/played with the XPR7550 and how they like it/rate it's performance. I'm considering picking a UHF unit up and want to make an informed decision. Thanks.

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XPR7550 Feedback - How is it?

Post by escomm »

I have sold a number of the units and customer feedback has been universally positive. The audio quality is significantly improved, both on TX and RX. The form of the radio is also a bright point--Consistent feedback is that "it fits better in your hand."
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:The audio quality is significantly improved, both on TX and RX.
That's good to hear, as TRBO voice quality has always suffered in comparison to NexEdge, IMO. I wonder what they did to improve it, and whether they'll follow suit with the 'legacy' TRBO 4000/6000 series?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

My friend recently got one, & he describes it as a "mini Saber". It works well, however, in Motorola's wisdom, they changed the antenna receptacle. No longer do they use the center pin type antenna like on the 6550, Jedi, & XTS line. It's like a Saber antenna, but different threads. So while my friend likes his radio, he has no way to connect it to his mobile antenna while in his car. GARY N4KVE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Gary, that's true, and while there's a port on the radio to connect an adapter for service, Motorola doesn't recommending using it for external antennas due to the likelihood of damaging the PCB because of the way the jack is connected to the board.

Todd, you have found NXDN to have good voice quality? Can't say my firsthand experience agrees. But audio quality is a very subjective thing and all that matters at the end of the day is what the customer thinks.
d119

Post by d119 »

escomm wrote:Gary, that's true, and while there's a port on the radio to connect an adapter for service, Motorola doesn't recommending using it for external antennas due to the likelihood of damaging the PCB because of the way the jack is connected to the board.

Todd, you have found NXDN to have good voice quality? Can't say my firsthand experience agrees. But audio quality is a very subjective thing and all that matters at the end of the day is what the customer thinks.

Hello Holmes. Any chance you could post detailed photos of the 7550 for us?

And I too have been less than satisfied with NXDN. Reminds me of a bad NexTel call.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote: Todd, you have found NXDN to have good voice quality? Can't say my firsthand experience agrees. But audio quality is a very subjective thing and all that matters at the end of the day is what the customer thinks.
When did you try them? I've always found them to be better, because quite frankly, I think TRBO audio blows. With the newer firmware (2.56 & up) Kenwood offers many different audio settings that have a significant affect on how the audio sounds. I have a hard time believing anyone would think TRBO audio is better, it's such a night & day difference.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

marcosorourke
What radios do you own?: XPR7550

Post by marcosorourke »

Wavetar can you post an A/B comparison? Have both radios and say the exact same phrase and record the audio? I've been trying to find this but no one seems to have done it.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wavetar wrote:When did you try them? I've always found them to be better, because quite frankly, I think TRBO audio blows. With the newer firmware (2.56 & up) Kenwood offers many different audio settings that have a significant affect on how the audio sounds. I have a hard time believing anyone would think TRBO audio is better, it's such a night & day difference.
Latest demo was about 6 months ago. Not sure if they were latest & greatest firmware at that point and if anything has come down the pipe from Kenwood since then. The radios were on a multisite trunking system if that would affect anything. I can say the XPR7550 radios are infinitely better than the first generation. Every customer that has bought 7550s has said they've been impressed with the improvements in audio quality, and consistently they're saying the radio fits much better in their hand as well.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

marcosorourke wrote:Wavetar can you post an A/B comparison? Have both radios and say the exact same phrase and record the audio? I've been trying to find this but no one seems to have done it.
I will try to find the time, as it would be good to have comparisons out there.

Forts

Post by Forts »

Does anyone know what type of connector is on the 7550's? I'd like to pick one up myself... but not being able to use the antenna on my truck would be a show stopper for now. I'm curious to hear the audio in comparison so a 4550/6550.
xmo

Post by xmo »

The Motorola solution for connecting to these radios [per the service manual]:

PMLN6154A, RF ADAPTER and PMLN6155A, RF ADAPTER HOLDER

Per MOL these cost $115.00 and $125.00 respectively.

So, is that close enough to a "show stopper" ?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the delay guys.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

xmo wrote:So, is that close enough to a "show stopper" ?
That's a negative, ghostrider.

Motorola recommends against using the RF adapter for external antennas, as the port is directly on the PCB and is likely to break with the stresses and strains of a mobile application.
xmo

Post by xmo »

"Motorola recommends against using the RF adapter for external antennas"

Plus, they priced it to be sure that no one in their right mind would consider doing it!
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

It's interesting to see that the RF port is hidden under what normally is covered with a piece of casing with the model XPR7550 imprinted on it. How does that come off?

So they are not using the actual antenna port..........hummmmmm. That's one to question?

Marshall
mars
New User

Post by mars »

Sorry to bump an old(er) thread, but I wanted to comment on the XPR7550 antenna connector issue.

I recently purchased a 7550 from Jeff. It's very well-built and feels solid. I have yet to use it in digital mode as our group is in the process of acquiring hardware/repeater/more radios. Bye bye outdated/overpriced P25 technology which is stuck in the stone age and has not changed for years. Networking it (easily) is also nearly impossible.

I too, was somewhat disappointed when I read about the cost and other issues associated with the external antenna connector. But is it really a big deal? I know of very few commercial users who use a portable as a mobile. This seems to be something only hammies think is acceptable. A portable is meant to be used outdoors or in close proximity to a repeater. Mobiles and base stations are optimized for those applications.

It would've been nice to see a SMA on the 7550, but it's not the end of the world. It's not as annoying as listening to some hammy trying to use a portable as a mobile, constantly breaking up and repeating themselves.

The 20/25 KHz thing is also a PITA for amateur use; maybe Moto will reconsider and unlock the ham band with a future CPS/firmware release. Not a radio flaw, just a software issue.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

So just to clarify, the XPR7550 WILL NOT do 20/25 khz spacing / 5 khz dev on ham? That's be a show stopper for me.
Joe - N6LAU
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

mars wrote:Sorry to bump an old(er) thread, but I wanted to comment on the XPR7550 antenna connector issue.

I too, was somewhat disappointed when I read about the cost and other issues associated with the external antenna connector. But is it really a big deal? I know of very few commercial users who use a portable as a mobile. This seems to be something only hammies think is acceptable. A portable is meant to be used outdoors or in close proximity to a repeater. Mobiles and base stations are optimized for those applications.

It would've been nice to see a SMA on the 7550, but it's not the end of the world. It's not as annoying as listening to some hammy trying to use a portable as a mobile, constantly breaking up and repeating themselves.

The 20/25 KHz thing is also a PITA for amateur use; maybe Moto will reconsider and unlock the ham band with a future CPS/firmware release. Not a radio flaw, just a software issue.
But that's the point. Hams are buying these radios because of all the DMR TRBO repeaters that are popping up all over the country. Repeaters all over the world are able to link up. While companies with deep pockets can throw a mobile radio in all the trucks for increased range, some hams have to make do with a portable. The 6550 allows us to connect an external antenna through the SMA connecter on the top of the radio without possible damage to the radio. My friend Dean who just bought a new Mercedes will absolutely not install a mobile radio in it, but an antenna is fine. He can't connect the 7550 to the antenna. Also Motorola is issuing a special software fix to those using the radio where 5 khz is used. Ham, marine, etc. GARY
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

N6LAU wrote:So just to clarify, the XPR7550 WILL NOT do 20/25 khz spacing / 5 khz dev on ham? That's be a show stopper for me.
It will do it. You just need the EID to enable 25KHz programming in your CPS.
ces911
What radios do you own?: APX8000,NX5210

Post by ces911 »

whats a EID
I monitor my PM's, So I should reply fairly quick...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

ces911 wrote:whats a EID
It stands for 'Entitlement ID'. Basically, it's a code string that turns on specific features in the CPS like 25Khz operation. EID's are also used to enable features in field radios, such as Capacity Plus & Linked Capacity Plus in repeaters, etc.

tdeater
New User
What radios do you own?: XPR6550, XPR7550, CDM1550

Post by tdeater »

Has anyone done the mod to the programming cable to let a version A cable program the XPR7550's? Seems pretty simple, Motorola pulled the ground for the cable from the round circle connector, but the XPR7550 does not have that connector. A jumper to the correct pin in the cable in theory should work. Is it that simple? Anyone know exactly what I jumper to what?

also, I have a question about the EID's. Motorola sent me a long key that they said is my 25khz EID, but I am not sure where to enter it into the CPS software. Anyone have any directions? The directions they sent refer to Impres Fleet Management. They did not send any attachments or .key files.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

tdeater wrote:...
also, I have a question about the EID's. Motorola sent me a long key that they said is my 25khz EID, but I am not sure where to enter it into the CPS software. Anyone have any directions? The directions they sent refer to Impres Fleet Management. They did not send any attachments or .key files.
- Features
- Register Application Features
- Follow the prompts on entering your "EID" number M sent you.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

TreyH wrote:
tdeater wrote:...
- Features
- Register Application Features
- Follow the prompts on entering your "EID" number M sent you.
Also, make sure the computer you are using has an internet connection, as the CPS needs to 'register' itself with the Motorola servers as part of the process. This is how Motorola ensures once the EID is used, it cannot be used again to upgrade another CPS installation.

ces911
What radios do you own?: APX8000,NX5210

Post by ces911 »

What's the process to obtain this EID
I monitor my PM's, So I should reply fairly quick...
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

ces911 wrote:What's the process to obtain this EID
Use your Mot online account and start a new "Case" using the Case Mgmt option. For the case description just state that you need the 25khz option for your CPS. I also stated why I needed it but I'm not sure if they want to know that or not.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”