GR300 Hang Time

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hfd921

GR300 Hang Time

Post by hfd921 »

Finally we have the UHF GR300 repeater up and running a little better, Now a question. The hang time for the Rick is 0, 1.5 and 3 seconds. Which would be best, more or less? We would like to talk back and forth a little quicker.

Would 0 hang time be better?

Does the hang time effect the range?

Does the hang time give better TX?, (for example I might have a 3 second delay but better range and audio…)
Would appreciate the input, Thank you…….

I did look this up in search , maybe not working on my end but no results for this specific question.
Bill_G

Re: GR300 Hang Time

Post by Bill_G »

There is no best hang time. Hang time does nothing for range, and it does not affect talk through. It lets you know you actually hit the station, and by listening to the quieting, you have a rough idea of how well you are getting in. That's all it does.

That said, I prefer shorter over longer. 1 sec is sufficient.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Our PD had a hang time of ( it seemed like over ) 4 seconds. Most now are around 1.5 - 2 second hang times. I prefer anything around 2 seconds myself. And as was noted, hang-time does not effect range.
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

Having around a 2-3 second hangtime holds the repeater keyd so if you are carrying on a conversation, you don't have the "Lag" of the repeater keying up and down in between people talking, as long as the person asnwering you keys his radio before the hang timer expires the repeater will stay keyd and the conversations will go smoother.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Agreed. If the repeater will be relatively busy a slightly longer hang time will be beneficial to the PA as it won't be cycling on and off repeatedly. No pun intended.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”