Battery conditioner/analyzer info needed

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Battery conditioner/analyzer info needed

Post by mmckenna »

All,

I need to find a battery analyzer system for a small PD. They've got maybe 50 radios, mostly MTS-2000, but a few XTS-2500 and Kenwood's thrown in the mix, so the Impress systems won't be an option.

I've never purchased one of these before. Looking for input from those that have. They are in desperate need of a battery management program. The individual desk chargers are not working out well, and we are discovering a lot of bad batteries in the fleet. I need a system for them that they can periodically run their batteries through for a conditioning and analysis.

I've found a few systems on line, and a "sort of" recommendation on Kadex. Not sure where to go to find others. Google search has been done, but I'm looking for real world experience.

Thanks!
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Re: Battery conditioner/analyzer info needed

Post by fire_master_21 »

This is what I bought for our Kenwood's at our department.

http://www.tessco.com/products/headerPr ... ext=431968

We never had an issue with it at all and you can get many different adapters. I also populated all six slots with iguage display for ours.

http://www.tessco.com/products/searchPr ... anCode=ALL
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Will

Post by Will »

We use the ACT conditioner chargers, and they are worth the extra cost.
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

Awesome, Thanks guys!
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Go with IMPRES for all the Motorola radios that yoy listed and then get a small analyser for the Kenwoods (or just replace the Kenwood batteries every 2-years).

The great thing about IMPRES as that all the work is done for you. No more tracking down batteries, keeping track of when you last cycled them, putting batteries on/off the analyser.

If you want a more "hands on" with the IMPRES, get the "Fleet Management" system or the IMPRES battery reader.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Just last week I popped a Jedi Impress battery HNN9029AR into my Impress charger fw ver 3.4. I put it in at 11am, & between all the charging, discharging, & conditioning, it wasn't ready until 10pm. 11 hours later. Now I wasn't in a rush, & I know I could have removed the battery & popped it back in within 5 seconds, but I wanted to prove a point. 11 hours to Impress charge a battery. My Motorola [AdvanceTec] charger could have condition charged that same battery in less than 2 hours. While I understand the advantages of Impress charging, 11 hours is crazy. GARY
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

An IMPRES charger does take time to do a full recondition, just as any other reconditioner/analyzer will. An IMPRES charger will only do this every 10 to 30 charges (depending on usage characteristics). All the other charge cycles takes the normal charge time (about 2-hours). As you noted, with the IMPRES charger, a user always have the option to bypass a recondition cycle if they wish to.

The real nice thing about IMPRES is that the user has a positive feedback when the battery has used up its useful life. It's great for non-technical users.
VFN137
What radios do you own?: All but one

Post by VFN137 »

Go with the Act Conditioner with the Igauge. I've been quite pleased with mine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”