Motorola R2014D/CP/HS RF scan knob problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiokom
New User
What radios do you own?: Kenwood TS-950SD, ICOM IC-2720

Motorola R2014D/CP/HS RF scan knob problem

Post by radiokom »

Hello
I am a new user Batlabs forum, I'm from Poland.
I bought on Ebay Motorola R2014D/CP/HS Analyzer System. I see that needs to be calibrated, but the main problem is the dead time of RF Scan. In fact, once working and not work ten times. In total, I found that the cause may be in the T-handle Optical Encoder RF Scan. Guys, if anyone met with the failure of the analyzer? How do you fix it? Do you only replace the whole unit SoftPot? The unit is showing its age, but it can still work.

George
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola R2014D/CP/HS RF scan knob problem

Post by DJP126 »

Hi George,

Welcome to Batlabs. I used to work on the R2000 series test equipment at the Motorola Test Equipment Service Depot. We would replace the "softpot" when it failed.
Dave
radiokom
New User

Post by radiokom »

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of. But I wonder why from time to time knob works. I'll have to disassemble the unit.
WA6OXN
What radios do you own?: Saber, Astro Saber, Micor, Mot

Post by WA6OXN »

I've got the same problem with both of my service monitors here, so please post any findings you might come up with.

Thanks, -Steve
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

radiokom wrote:Thanks for the reply, that's what I was afraid of. But I wonder why from time to time knob works. I'll have to disassemble the unit.
Try reseating the front panel flex circuits to the motherboard. This is a long shot, but I've seen many strange things caused by minor "ground contact problems".
Dave
radiokom
New User

Post by radiokom »

Welcome back
To announce that I was able to fix the knob RF Scan. I had to remove softpot and isassembly, I found inside that they are bad soldering. After correcting solder, everything was back to normal, the device works perfectly. SoftPot design is very simple, 6 items, 2 resistors and 4 optical elements, there is nothing to spoil ...It has to be carefully unsolder, removed, disassembled and try to fix it. By the way, I made a basic calibration, basic settings according to the service manual. Most important, check the voltage 5.2 V to A4 board, and then correction of the settings that seem to be incorrect. I think it is a closed topic, thank you for all the suggestions.

Best regards
George M. Stanisławski
Krakow, Poland
see my page: http://www.radiokom.neostrada.pl

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”