XTS to XTL translation?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1187shooter
New User

XTS to XTL translation?

Post by 1187shooter »

Hello,
I have been asked by my local VFD, of which I am also a member, to help with reprogramming our radios. We have a mix of XTS2500 and 5000s, as well as a couple of XTL mobiles, and there are probably 5 or 6 different configurations between them all, as far as zone/channel configurations.
Our chief had a new codeplug made up for the portables by an outside shop, but not the mobiles... and now he can't get in touch with the programmer to have the mobile codeplugs built.
Is the re a way to import the information from the portable codeplug into the CPS for the mobile radios?
I service and program the radios I use at work, (a fleet of about 100 portables and mobiles: MOTOTRBOs, mostly, as well as a mix of CP200s, PM400s and Radius 1225s) so I'm familiar with radio programming, but my radios have 4 channels, 3 of which are simplex... a much simpler system than the FD radios. We have a surprising bunch of channels and zones to deal with, especially considering how small we are.
I've played around with Export and Import to Applications with no success, and have browsed through what help files I can find, but am kind of stumped... I wish I had more time to really dig into it but I don't.
Is it even possible to do what I'm trying to accomplish, or do I need to start with a blank codeplug and build one from scratch? This is what I'm trying to avoid since I just don't have time to devote to it... we are a small department in a very small community, but we provide tech support and radios to 4 other departments in the borough, so there are quite a few to do.
This is also a very rural community, and there are not a lot of folks here with the technical savvy to do this work... so it falls on me by default...
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated by me, and my Chief, who also doesn't have the time to devote to this fairly daunting project....
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XTS to XTL translation?

Post by escomm »

You should read about Drag and Drop in the CPS help file. It will aid you greatly in translating the portable codeplug into the mobiles.
jsatch
New User

Post by jsatch »

Usually you can drap and drop for example i have a xtl2500 mobile and dragged my xts2500 into it. Open up both codeplugs. on the top of the code plug click and drag from the one you want onto the one you want to copy it to. As long as it is not FPP you should not have a problem other than some of the minor buttons and such.
Snarlingrabiddog
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String P25

Post by Snarlingrabiddog »

I had no idea dragging and dropping would work between portables and mobiles. Thank you!
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Snarlingrabiddog wrote:I had no idea dragging and dropping would work between portables and mobiles. Thank you!

You will have to go into the radio codeplug you just modified and check to see that the personalities line up the way you want them to. Make sure the zones are correct and that the zones have the personality number your looking for. Also make sure your scan lists are correct and in the personalities you think they are in.

The click, drag and drop does work for the radio frequencies, but our good Motorola software geeks just cant seem to get the whole thing to work all together. I always have to spend considerable time fixing all the little things that don't line up when your done. Just adding a zone will screw up all the zones higher up in number from where you just added one. Just can't win with the software.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”