Astro Saber that does NOT do MDC ??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Astro Saber that does NOT do MDC ??

Post by MT2000 man »

Hi all,

I'm finding this a little hard to beleive, so I figured I'd ask the best !

I just bought a UHF Astro Saber model 1 and ( I'd program this myself but I haven't touched an Astro Saber in many years, and sold my RIB and AS programming cables ) the tech at the radio shop I bought the radio from is telling me this radio can NOT do MDC1200. I always thought that all Astro Sabers can do MDC signaling ? The flashcode of this radio is 100004-000000-4 , it's a 1 MEG radio. He said that Astro Sabers can either do Trunking or MDC, not both.

It's been awhile since I last programmed an AS, but I'm almost 100% sure all of them ( even if they had an analog only flash ) supported MDC.

Am I wrong here ??
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Astro Saber that does NOT do MDC ??

Post by escomm »

He must be confused

The radio won't display the IDs because Digital ID display is missing but it will sure transmit MDC....
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Re: Astro Saber that does NOT do MDC ??

Post by MT2000 man »

That's what I thought. Displaying the ID's wasn't a concern ( obviously, since as you pointed out it doesn't even have a display ), I just wanted DOS ( to mute the MDC noise ) turned on, and he said that this particular Astro Saber does not in any way shape of form support MDC. Kinda thought that to be odd.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”