MTR2000 Wireline Connector Replacement With Something Better

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

MTR2000 Wireline Connector Replacement With Something Better

Post by Birken Vogt »

I ran into a problem today. MTR2000 with the phone lines terminated into the wireline connector on the backplane were pushed by the previous company into the square release holes. There were bad connections and the connector was damaged to the point that it was even worse when I put them in the proper places.

I replaced the backplane board with one I had laying around but I would like to fix this right.

I noticed the MTR3000 has a Phoenix-like connector presumably to alleviate this problem. Has anybody had success retrofitting something like this to the 2000? There might be some lineup problems, though.

Failing that, does anybody have a PN for the OE connector so I can fix the backplane I now have a damaged one of?
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: MTR2000 Wireline Connector Replacement With Something Be

Post by kcbooboo »

When I got my first MTR2000, the wireline connector was tilted downward at an odd angle. It worked fine, and I figured that's just how they were manufactured. When I saw a second MTR2000, the wireline connector was perpendicular to the backplane and not tilted at all. When I got back home I pushed on my unit's wireline connector and it snapped back into a perpendicular position. I didn't try pulling it out, but it almost seemed like it was designed to be snapped into position and therefore could be removed. If so, there must be a part number for it and you should be able to replace just that connector.

It's worth calling Motorola Parts Identification and asking them. If it's not a separate part, you're stuck replacing the entire backplane, as that's the FRU it's attached to.

Bob M.
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

It is soldered into the board with 4 pins and there are two of those cheesy plastic round pegs with the split in the middle and a tip like an arrowhead that are supposed to keep it from tilting like that, but frequently they get tilted anyway because they do not hold onto the board very well and the wires do not like to pull out without a fight.

I thought it was removable at first too, but after disassembly I discovered it is soldered on.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I've never had a problem with that connector, but I've been amazed at the gauge of wire some guys have managed to insert forever mangling the thing. (shaking head)

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”