R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Mike Peterson
New User

R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Problem

Post by Mike Peterson »

Hi,
I have a R2550 (about the same as the R2600 I think) that is reading about 12-15 dB low on the measurements for the Antenna Input jack. Mine happens to have the tracking generator option and when tuning duplexers I have to throw a little amp on the antenna input to give it a boost of sensitivity. The antenna input fuse in the BNC connector is good (first check on this unit). Anyone dig into this part of the monitor and have any advice? I don't have a schematic and have been looking at buying a jpeg manual that is out there from China to try. Unless if anyone knows where you can get a PDF service manual? That might be a bit better copy than a jpeg one. Thanks an d any input would be appreciated!
jry

Re: R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Probl

Post by jry »

You may want to verify the continuity of the cable from the FP ant jack to the SMB that goes into A8 J1 ( RF input module ). Often times the fuse is good but the connection is bad.

Is the input level correct from the RF i/O connector ....there is a pad in between so the R/F I.O.so it does take a higher signal. ( 30db IIRC)

Do the 20db and 40db attenuator levels work correctly ?.

If the level from the RF i/O connector is correct and the 20 and 40 db attenuation works than you may have bad /shorted input protection diodes or a bad RF switch IC .

You would have to pull the module and test the diodes since it's DC blocked from the FP ant connector J1
Mike Peterson
New User

Re: R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Probl

Post by Mike Peterson »

Thanks for the info jry. I will check in that direction. Yes, if I remember right, the 20 and 40 dB attenuator works. I'll post my findings when I get into the unit. Thanks again!
jonnyc
New User

Re: R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Problem

Post by jonnyc »

Did you MEASURE the fuse, or just look for an indication of continuity?
I once had a similar prob and when I suggested a high res fuse I was laughed out of court by all the cognoscienti.
But when i measured it, ..............51 ohms! Replaced fuse and prob gone!

JC
Mike Peterson
New User

Re: R2550 (R2600) Ant Input Reading Low (not BNC fuse) Problem

Post by Mike Peterson »

Interesting on what you found one time JC. I did a continuity check on it with a meter and it was good. I did dig into it a couple of weeks ago and injected a signal into the module and same problem, low measure for the RF input. Now I have to try and do a some digging into the module. Looks like it could be a bit of work to service the board. Been busy with radio work so not much time lately with my own stuff on the bench as this is a farming area up here and they are keeping me busy. I'll do a post on my findings when I get a chance to try and do some further trouble shooting. Thanks for the note!

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”