pl codes

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Screwed

pl codes

Post by Screwed »

I know im loosing my mind and cant remember

if i program a freq. ie...

111.1111 with a open pl code csq

but the other radios are set for

111.1111 with a pl of 121

if i key up the csq radio the others wont hear it even though im breaking the channel

is that correct
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

OK lets see here, if you key up a radio on a frequency with no PL tone or different PL tone than the reciever. There will be no audio or squelch on the reciever, you will only see the light go on for what it normally would for recieve.
-Jon
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Correct. The radios programmed with the RX PL tone will not decode any transmissions except those sent with the corresponding PL tone. CSQ will not work in reverse.
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Re: pl codes

Post by fogster »

Screwed wrote:if i key up the csq radio the others wont hear it even though im breaking the channel
Assuming their radios are set up to use PL on receive, they won't hear you.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense in a wide-scale deployment, but it's possible that their radios are set up to only TX a PL, but not to require one on RX. (i.e., CSQ on RX, PL on TX.) I've programmed a few this way (when interference wasn't a big issue) so that the occasional idiot keying up without his PL set right would still come through.

Just in case you're thinking of this 'backwards' from how we are: you're not absolutely 'hidden' by not using a PL. Someone could use their monitor button to hear you anyway, hear you on a scanner, or you could double with someone (although it would probably be hard to hear you).

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”