SP50 RX

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

SP50 RX

Post by arlojanis »

I changed the mic jack on a SP50 UHF. Now the receive audio works, but received signals are intermittant. The problem is the heat sink. I can remove the sink and receiver is OK. I do not see anything touching. What causes this?
"The world runs on radio."
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

Check L55, it supports the second oscillator circuit. It lives just under where the heatsink presses down on the board, next to the second oscillator crystal. Resolder it and you should be fine-it's a common problem.
arlojanis

Re: SP50 RX

Post by arlojanis »

I had another one with intermittant receive and intermittant second oscillator. I resoldered all pins on U51, IFIC and it seems to have cured it. Has anyone seen this problem and found other causes?
"The world runs on radio."
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Arlojanis, I've seen bad solder joints in so many different places on SP50 boards, its really pathetic. In general, anything bigger than an SMD resistor may have a bad joint. This means ICs, the antenna connector, speaker/mic connector, controls, shields, coils, etc....
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

Does anyone have a PDF service?

Got a 3 of these I would like to get back monday, so if anyone can help me locate the above discussed components.....never seen so many cold solder joints in a radio....fixed a few already, but audio is very distorted on 2 of them....thanks
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Nick, as I said in my earlier post in this thread, check everything bigger than an SMD resistor. Pay particular attention to anything that mounts thru-hole.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

its gonna be a long day, I hate these more then GP68's.....
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”