Class B CB

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Class B CB

Post by arlojanis »

Does anyone remember the output power, antenna height, and frequencies for the very old Class B CB radios?
"The world runs on radio."
k2hz

Re: Class B CB

Post by k2hz »

I can't find any specific info on the rules but I remember the Vocaline Class B CB radios were 5W AM.
Class B frequencies were different from Class A. I think Class B was around 465MHz.

I think Class B stations were considered portable/mobile only so I don't remember any rules about base antenna height.

The Vocaline radios had the antenna on top of the radio. I don't recall a connector for any external antenna.
techie
Batboard $upporter

Post by techie »

Lets see.. Subpart A is GMRS, I don't remember what Subpart B used to be, (It's now FRS), Subpart C is R/C (boats/planes/etc),
Subpart D is 27mhz CB, Subpart E is technical standards, Subpart F is 219Mhz , Subpart G is LPRS. Subpart H is WMTS (medical telemetry), Subpart I is MICS (medical implants), Subpart J is MURS, Subpart K is PLB (personal locater beacons), Subpart L is DSRCS-OBUs (Dedicated Short-Range Communications Service On-Board Units).

Somewhere in my files, I may have some xerox pages of 47CFR part 95 for 20+ years ago.. It's just a matter of locating them..
-- Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine --
Bob Vaughan | techie@tantivy.net
AF6RR | P.O.Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
W8UU
New User
What radios do you own?: GE Rangr, Mastr II, Maratrac

Post by W8UU »

k2hz wrote:I can't find any specific info on the rules but I remember the Vocaline Class B CB radios were 5W AM.
Class B frequencies were different from Class A. I think Class B was around 465MHz.
FROM WIKIPEDIA ...

The Citizens' Band radio service originated in the United States as one of several personal radio services regulated by the FCC. These services began in 1945 to permit citizens a short-distance radio band for personal communication (e.g., radio controlled models, family communications, individual businesses). Originally, CB was located in the 460-470 MHz UHF band. There were two classes of CB: A and B. Class B radios had simpler technical requirements but were limited to a smaller range of frequencies. Al Gross, inventor of the walkie-talkie, started Citizen's Radio Corp. in the late 1940s to merchandise Class B handhelds for the general public.[2]

The technology at the time was not advanced enough for UHF radios to be practical and affordable for the average consumer. So, in 1958,[3] the Class D CB service was opened at 27 MHz, and this is what is popularly known as CB. There were only 23 channels at the time; the first 22 were taken from what used to be an Amateur 11-meter band, while channel 23 was shared with radio-controlled devices.

Most of the 460-470 MHz band was reassigned for business and public safety uses, but Class A CB is the ancestor of the present General Mobile Radio Service GMRS. Class B, in the same vein, is a more distant ancestor of the Family Radio Service. The Multi-Use Radio Service is another two-way radio service, in the VHF high band. An unsuccessful petition was made in 1973 to create a Class E CB service at 220 MHz, this was opposed by amateur radio organizations[4] and others. There are several other classes of personal radio services for specialized purposes such as remote control devices.

Quite a trip down memory lane!

Rick
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

techie wrote: Somewhere in my files, I may have some xerox pages of 47CFR part 95 for 20+ years ago.. It's just a matter of locating them..
It will need to be 40 or more years ago to find when the original Class B (Part 95 subpart B) was deleted. I think Class B was gone by the early 60s, not long after Class D was created.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”