R2008D Comm Monitor

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Nimrod
New User

R2008D Comm Monitor

Post by Nimrod »

Hello....Am new to the Forum.
I have a problem with my R2008D and wonder if anyone has any ideas?
Antenna input was selected and a high RF field was nearby on the bench and I suddenly lost a bunch of receive sensitivity.
Any ideas of the likely component or section that took a sizzle?
Also,did Motorola ever make a "service" manual for this unit?
Thanks!
jackhackett

Re: R2008D Comm Monitor

Post by jackhackett »

I'm not sure, but I believe the R2008 is one of the ones that has a fuse inside the antenna BNC connector, see if the connector will screw out. If it is, it should be a green pico fuse, very low value, 1/8A comes to mind but don't quote me.. I'll see if I can find out for sure.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I've had the same problem several times, and have had the unit serviced several times.... baa..

Sorry, no fuse on that beast accessable from the outside.

PM me I can recommend some options for you.
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

Let's make sure we are clear here.

The fuse is behind the antenna connector.

How do you get at it? Unscrew the antenna connector. This is NOT a standard BNC connector in the traditional sense. When you unscrew it, you will take the body of the connector from the service monitor and you will find the fuse inside. This would be a great place to hide the secrets of the Iraqi WMD program on some ultra small memory module.

Okay, you are on your own. Wake me when it's time for me to go home.

George
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

just checked, looks like the fuses would be 1/16A, at least that's what I have a pack for my 2670
Nimrod
New User

Post by Nimrod »

Thanks Guys!
You are right, it is an Axial Lead sub-miniature fuse and was right behind the BNC antenna connector. My 2008D had a 1/8 Amp fuse in it and it was blown...so that explains the drop in sensitivity. Nice that Motorola Engineers thought ahead about it being used in a high-RF environment.
When I looked at the BNC I immediately noticed it was a little chewed up and had been removed more then a few times. It simply threaded right out but you have to be careful to not mash the BNC tangs/ears.
Found the fuse in Allied Electronics for 83 cents...but they have a large minimum order fee so I am looking around.
Once I get the fuse I can get back to repairing the 2 Meter repeater I am working on.

Anybody seen a service or full operations manual on the R2008D?

Thanks, Allan.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Try Mouser for the fuse, 576-0263.125MXL is an 1/8A very fast acting Pico II
Nimrod
New User

Post by Nimrod »

Thanks again Jack.
I ended up ordering from Newark/MCM....no minimum order.
Have a great weekend!
Still lookng for an R2008D manual if anyone knows of one....
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...Still lookng for an R2008D manual if anyone knows of one..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look on ebay under business & industrial > test equipment > Motorola
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

The fuse for the R2000D series is a 1/8 A. The 1/16 A fuse is the R2600 series.

There are several operator manuals for the R2000D series. The one for the R2001 gives the basic operations for the series. Then there are manuals for the various options. There were two maintenance manuals for the R2001D series, the one with the RLN part number has the newer option boards and processor.
Dave
Denley
New User

Post by Denley »

To those who are looking for the R2001D rf fuse, I ordered the 576-0263 that someone suggested but when I got them the were to wide to fit the fuse holder behind the antenna BNC. It appears that pico fuses come in several widths and from what I can tell only the Littlefuse type 265 fuse is narrow enough to fit and they seem to be unavailable anywhere. Has anyone drilled out the fuse holder to accommodate wider fuses?
jry

Post by jry »

The service manual is on ebay ....same oone as the 2001D which covers the entire 2oXXD to the extent there is a manual.
The fuses should be on Digikey ...283-3221-1-ND part number 1/8 in in diameter .87 each
If you are desparate use either a 5.6 or 4.7 ohm 1/4 watt resistor ...that's what is in the IFR 1200's These small fuses usually measure around 6 ohms last time I checked.

There is a specific section for test equipment in this forum as well
Denley
New User

Post by Denley »

Thanks Jry, Those won't fit in my R2004D either. 1/8" is too wide. The hole that the fuse has to fit into is 3/32" (2.38mm) wide. I did but the service manual off eBay and has a Motorola part number #65-80377A6. Interestingly when I bought this unit it had a blown 1 amp fuse in it. I expected that I would find a damaged mixer or attenuator but everything seems to be perfect with a wire in place of the fuse for test!
stay-con

Post by stay-con »

Denley wrote:To those who are looking for the R2001D rf fuse, I ordered the 576-0263 that someone suggested but when I got them the were to wide to fit the fuse holder behind the antenna BNC. It appears that pico fuses come in several widths and from what I can tell only the Littlefuse type 265 fuse is narrow enough to fit and they seem to be unavailable anywhere. Has anyone drilled out the fuse holder to accommodate wider fuses?
DO NOT DRILL OUT THE CONNECTOR.

Just take a small mill fill and shave down the fuse a bit, it fits.

Jeff
Emoticons are the wheel chair ramps for the emotionally handicapped.
n0czv
New User

Re: R2008D Comm Monitor RF Fuse access?

Post by n0czv »

Hello!

Can anyone tell me how to access the RF fuse on the R2008D/R2001D? Does the receive BNC connector unscrew? I don't want to damage the panel. Not having much luck with the scanned manual, but I am still looking!

Thanks

Steve
Attica, OH
jry

Post by jry »

yes the Antenna BNC unscrews to access the fuse.

Believe the Duplex is a standard non-fused connector IIRC

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”