XTS3000 Problem?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

XTS3000 Problem?

Post by Josh »

Hi all. I am glad the board is back up!

At any rate, I meant to post this last night. Here's the problem. I want to listen to the Michigan State Police on my XTS3000 flashed 1000040000004: APCO-25 IMBE digital and Smartnet.

MSP is Smartzone Omni-link and they utilize a 9.6k control channel. I decided for the few towers in the system I'd ever liste to anyhow that I'd set it up as WAC AMSS(or whatever the setup is for 8 control channels- I cannot recall) I programmed 8 control channels used around here and could clearly hear one of them on my scanner.

O.k. once I had it programmed how I wanted it, the radio says 'out of range' whenver I tune in to the system.

Is the radio not capable of the 9.6k control channel?

This isn't too big of a problem since my primary system is on the slower control channel, however, if they 'switched up' as they did almost a year ago but came back down would I be in the dark (again)??

-Josh
Josh

Post by Josh »

r0f wrote:Or, wait for the digital trunk tracker to come out. It will do 9600bps CC.Shaun
If I wanted to wait for that, I would never have bought an XTS3000! I am not made of money! :)

-Josh
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

r0f,

Does the XTS loose both trunked and conventional analog operation, or just trunked analog?
XDCLabs.COM

Post by XDCLabs.COM »

The radio still has analog capability for voice. It will however, loose the capability to be on Smartnet/Smartzone systems with the old analog control channels, because Omnilink/9.6Kbps requires a digital control channel.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Exactly what happens to your radio when it gets flashed for 9600 control is still unclear.

I was originally told by Motorola sales that only the new radios would do both 3600 and 9600 (in the same radio at the same time). There were some recent threads here on related issues so I asked the local Motorola folks to get us a quote for upgrading.

I don't have pricing information back from them yet but one of their engineers says the radio still has "limited" 3600 cc capability after being flashed to 9600. Limited apparently means you lose most of your features. No Private call, Call Alert, Dynamic Regrouping, Remote Monitor, Telephone Interconnect to name a few.

I am going to ask for clarification as to whether it can do analog voice, P25 CAI voice, or both when on 3600 cc systems. This bears on the ability to use the radio for interoperable communications on neighboring systems. Basic voice is probably sufficient for those situations.
Josh

Post by Josh »

xmo wrote:Exactly what happens to your radio when it gets flashed for 9600 control is still unclear.

I was originally told by Motorola sales that only the new radios would do both 3600 and 9600 (in the same radio at the same time). There were some recent threads here on related issues so I asked the local Motorola folks to get us a quote for upgrading.

I don't have pricing information back from them yet but one of their engineers says the radio still has "limited" 3600 cc capability after being flashed to 9600. Limited apparently means you lose most of your features. No Private call, Call Alert, Dynamic Regrouping, Remote Monitor, Telephone Interconnect to name a few.

I am going to ask for clarification as to whether it can do analog voice, P25 CAI voice, or both when on 3600 cc systems. This bears on the ability to use the radio for interoperable communications on neighboring systems. Basic voice is probably sufficient for those situations.
This is odd to me. My local PD (and the other 15 on the same system), according to trunkedradio.net- the system was switched from 3600 to 9600, but soon was switched back. Does this mean that all the radios had to be reflashed?

If getting 9600k capability means I'd lose 3600 and all analog, then it is something I don't want to do.

-Josh
mike m

Post by mike m »

I have an 800 Mhz XTS3000 that is flashed with 100008-000480-9 and it is presently set up for multiple systems some are Astro 9.6 Kb Smartzone Omnilink P25 systems and the others are a mix of type II/IIi analog and P25 3.6 Kb Smartzone systems.

If you have the need then you can get the XTS3000s flashed anyway you need them but for scanner use and not being authorized to use a system then I seriously doubt that motorola will give you the proper flash. Also my radio is about 1 year old.

I've never had the need to have it flashed for smartnet, only for smartzone, but I do know that mine works on 3.6 kb and 9.6 Kb control channels but smartzone operation only at this time. So far call alerts and paging funtions seem to work on all system types in the radio.

I have to agree with the other reply, you really should have put your money into the upcoming trunktracker as it is dangerous to set up on any smartzone system as a scanner listener only without authorization. When I'm doing an airborne demo I contact all sys administrators to co-ordinate things ahead of time and get proper sys keys to setup a radio and then temp radio ID's etc., to go onto any 800 system with a transceiver is just asking for trouble without the proper authorization.

Mike

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”