VHF Spectra Receiver dead

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k4tdo

VHF Spectra Receiver dead

Post by k4tdo »

Hey fellow Motorola users. I have on my bench a VHF 146-170 45 watt spectra. The raddio worked fine a week ago. Today the receiver is dead. I dont even get a busy light on the front of the radio injecting an on freq. signal full tilt form my Service Monitor. I get the volume and channel change beeps and tones, just no receive activity at all. Suggestions?...Thanks Tim
Cowboy

Re: VHF Spectra Receiver dead

Post by Cowboy »

k4tdo wrote:Hey fellow Motorola users. I have on my bench a VHF 146-170 45 watt spectra. The raddio worked fine a week ago. Today the receiver is dead. I dont even get a busy light on the front of the radio injecting an on freq. signal full tilt form my Service Monitor. I get the volume and channel change beeps and tones, just no receive activity at all. Suggestions?...Thanks Tim
Have you tried reprogramming the drawer?
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

And have you...

--Checked for the infamous electrolytic cap leakage problem?

--Checked the PIN diodes in the antenna switch network?

--Ramped up your signal generator until the thing DOES receive? (or until the generator doesn't go any higher than, say, 0dBm?)

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

Also, you could remove the RF boards and reinstall them. I was helping somebody fix a spectra and this was all he needed to do to fix a FAIL001. The pins must have oxidized and were no longer making good contact.
Will

Post by Will »

Receiver dead, no busy LED with strong signal.

Common problem. Probably too late as the leaking capacitors have already done their damage.

I am able to repair most of them. Then, I work on lots of Spectras.

Bruce, even with bad PIN diodes in the antenna switch, most Spectras can still hear a 'wide open' signal generator.
I agree, " the infamous electrolytic cap leakage problem" will "kill" a receiver, or make it really sick.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

Will wrote:
(snippage)

Bruce, even with bad PIN diodes in the antenna switch, most Spectras can still hear a 'wide open' signal generator.
I agree, " the infamous electrolytic cap leakage problem" will "kill" a receiver, or make it really sick.
(hitting self on head) I actually knew that. What I didn't realize was that I hadn't read through to the part where he said he already ramped up his generator.

This is what I get for speed-reading first thing in the morning.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Will

Post by Will »

OK.
kc7gr wrote: (hitting self on head) I actually knew that. What I didn't realize was that I hadn't read through to the part where he said he already ramped up his generator.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

kc7gr wrote:
Will wrote:
(snippage)

(hitting self on head) I actually knew that. What I didn't realize was that I hadn't read through to the part where he said he already ramped up his generator.

Happy tweaking.
Keep talking gents - the information you two provide, along with the info from the many other resident gurus, is simply invaluable :)
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

A friend had a "dead" UHF receiver. Wouldn't hear a thing, but it had squelch noise and control head beeps just like yours. We swapped front ends; nothing. We even injected a signal directly into the RF board, bypassing the front end; nothing. Somehow we tried one of the IF freqs and it heard that, so we backed up a bit ahd checked the 2nd oscillator. Found it was running near 100 MHz but it wasn't stable, nor was it on the right frequency. We then swept the input signal over a wide range and the radio heard it somewhere with proper sensitivity. So it wasn't really dead, just way off frequency.

To make a long story short, there's one, and only one, physical potentiometer in the whole radio, and it controls the 2nd oscillator frequency which is phase-locked to the main oscillator. That pot went bad. It's very tiny, surface-mount, and soldered under itself, making it hard to replace. My friend ended up extracting it and replacing it with a pair of fixed resistors. Once it locked up, the radio started receiving just fine again.

The service manual makes no mention of this pot, but it does explain the 2nd oscillator circuit slightly. There's more information about it elsewhere on the web, but as it's already in print, I won't waste the bandwidth by posting it here.

Bob M.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

kcbooboo wrote:there's one, and only one, physical potentiometer in the
whole radio, and it controls the 2nd oscillator frequency which is
phase-locked to the main oscillator. That pot went bad.
Bob M.
IIRC that pot actually adjusts the negative bias voltage to the VCO, in any case it is in an area of the board that is frequently affected by the leaking caps. There are also some chip resistors and some plated through holes in the board right near the pot that are often damaged.
k4tdo

Post by k4tdo »

OK Guys and Gals......I have this sick radio on the bench......
The Transmitter makes full power and is dead on Freq. Has good audio etc......
I have swept the receiver about 10 mg either side of my programmed RX freq. Srtill no RX. Not even a busy light.
I have inspected the 2nd oscillator pot mentioned above. I can not see anything wrong with it. Adjustments of it make no difference to the radio.

Now what?
racerman1cars

Post by racerman1cars »

Like Bruce & Will said probably Caps..
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”