Motorola R2001B

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

garyser

Motorola R2001B

Post by garyser »

I just purchased an R2001B system analyzer. When the unit turns on there is a message on the display warning
rf load
over-temp

Can anyone tell me what the trouble is? Also there is a loud tone and these lights are on-cw, tone a, sig lvl, gen/mon mtr. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gary.
Last edited by garyser on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Motorola R1801B

Post by kc7gr »

You sure about that model number? R1801 was one of the numbers for the 'suitcase' programmer, a device used for programming PROMs in older Moto gear that predates PC programmability.

What you describe sounds more like an R2001 or R2008 series service monitor. Take a look at the back of the thing, there should be a data label there.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
garyser

Re: Motorola R2001B

Post by garyser »

kc7gr
Yes the model is R2001B. Can you help me? Thanks Gary.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

I just purchased an R2001B system analyzer. When the unit turns on there is a message on the display warning rf load over-temp
Most likely a defective RF I/O module. If you don't have the service manual, you don't want to mess with it.
Dave
garyser

Post by garyser »

I know i don't want to mess with but i am looking for someone who does. Can you help me on this? Thanks Gary.
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

I think CTDI still supports the "B" model (the "A" models will be returned unrepaired).

As for the other places that I have recommended in the past...
One went out of business due to hurricane Katrina, another went out of business when the owner decided to retire and one decided not to service test equipment any longer. That leaves Cardinal Electronics but I don't have their phone number or address anymore. Perhaps d119 can help here.
Dave
garyser

Post by garyser »

How can i contact cdti? I would like to have this R2001B repaired. Thanks Gary.
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

!-800-323-6967 is the CTDI test equipment depot. Ask for Ricky or Barb. Tell them Dave told you to call (I used to work with them when it was Motorola's depot).
Dave
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
I would look at the 24 pin ribbon connector for the A-11 module. If the plug has come unseated you could have this problem.
Caution! these pins break very easily. Some times the 24 pin socket has to be replaced. the original TI low profile socket is not reliable. I use a tye wrap to secure the connector on A/B/C models.
Aloha, Bernie
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

DJP126 wrote:!-800-323-6967 is the CTDI test equipment depot. Ask for Ricky or Barb. Tell them Dave told you to call (I used to work with them when it was Motorola's depot).
Bad news. I called the 800 number today to talk to my friends (and to get some assistance on a problem) and found out that CTDI (in their infinate wisdom) has disconnected the 800 number. They no longer offer tech assistance and you MUST contact Motorola for an RMA to have equipment repaired. This sucks!
Dave
Eric R
New User

Post by Eric R »

Try EML
888-845-4614
www.eml1.com

They did a great job repairing and certifying my 2600.

Eric
xmo

Post by xmo »

"Bad news. I called the 800 number today to talk to my friends (and to get some assistance on a problem) and found out that CTDI (in their infinate wisdom) has disconnected the 800 number. They no longer offer tech assistance and you MUST contact Motorola for an RMA to have equipment repaired. This sucks!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is very bad news. The test equipment depot was like a rock. The best service that Motorola had to offer - anywhere - period.

How long was Dave Heaphy there? Like forever? Then Harold took over. The last time I talked to him was just before they moved to Elgin, he had 14 techs. How many do you suppose are left now?

You're right. It sucks.
garyser

Post by garyser »

Well i contacted EML today. The repair cost quote is $1275.00 I don't think i am going that way. Anyone else have an idea?
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

EML is a good choice. They do VERY good work. You won't get your analyzer repaired for much lower than the $1275 that they quoted you, that is pretty much dirt cheap considering what's involved.
Dave
d119

Post by d119 »

Call Bob at Cardinal Electronics.

His contact information is:

Cardinal Electronics, Inc.
1631 N. Evergreen Avenue
Arlington Heights, IL. 60004-3806
(847) 797-7820 Voice
(847) 870-0342 Fax
http://www.cardinalelec.com

He does VERY good work. But one thing you need to be aware of is that even minor repairs on a service monitor can be EXTREMELY expensive. This is due to the nature of the equipment, and the fact that everything in the monitor is "precision" and there are no aftermarket or third-party parts for them.

We recently had to have an R2600B sent in, and the repair bill was $2200. This is for a service monitor that is about 9-10 years old. We decided to have it fixed based on the fact that the cost to replace it outweighed the cost to repair it by far.

On something as old as an R2001, it might be better to just sell it to someone for parts and buy a unit that's working. But again, don't be upset when every place you call quotes you over a grand to fix it.

If I can be of further help (or hindrance), please let me know. Give Bob a call - he's a very nice gent who will be happy to talk with you about your monitor.
racerman1cars

Post by racerman1cars »

Hi Gary, There is a place here in Ky near Bowling Gren called Auburn Electronics [it is Auburn, Ky] that does service monitor repair.
Steve
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Auburn Metrology Lab:

http://auburnmetrologylab.com/

Give em a call and talk to em. Have talked to them and prices were very resonable and I've not heard anything bad when I talked to folks in the business.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
RJF19
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom 7600, 7000, 756 PROII

Post by RJF19 »

firemedic wrote:Auburn Metrology Lab:

http://auburnmetrologylab.com/

Give em a call and talk to em. Have talked to them and prices were very resonable and I've not heard anything bad when I talked to folks in the business.

I just tried to go to their domain, it expired on 8/9, big message from GoDaddy so, I called and yes, they are still in business and were unaware of the domain expiration. They will be fixing the website ASAP. Heres their info:

"Auburn Metrology Lab Inc has specialized in the repair and calibration of communications service monitors for nearly 30 years. We provide NIST traceable calibrations and perform repairs down to component level. We also buy and sell quality used equipment. Please call with any test equipment needs. 800.859.6515 ask for James"
Bob Fehn W3RJF

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”