IFR-1100S Not Working - Worth the trouble to fix?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firemedic

IFR-1100S Not Working - Worth the trouble to fix?

Post by firemedic »

Well, I've been moving it around my basement/shop for 4 years now. I have an older mil surplus IFR-1100S that dosen't work. I have the military manuals for it for service and operations, it does not work properly and I haven't had the chance to test it any further. Is it worth the time/effort to troubleshoot it and get it running? I have 4 service monitors already (Motorola and HP units) and don't really need this one but if it's not too much trouble I thought it would be a good learning experience. I've worked on the motorola and hp service monitors before but never on the IFR stuff. Didn't know how different they were and if parts were NLA for em. Thanks for any suggestions or tips. Also like everything for the right price if someone else wants a project monitor I might let this one go as time seems to be my premium right now.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: IFR-1100S Not Working - Worth the trouble to fix?

Post by Wowbagger »

If you are wanting to get a good service monitor out of it - you can buy better units for far less than you time would be worth.

If you are approaching it as a learning experience, and something fun, and are NOT expecting to get anything else out of it, then I say go for it. The 1100 is simple enough in design that you have a fighting chance to work out what the problems are (and in that you are no worse off than I am - I'd have to do some major archeology to find any information on the 1100).
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
radio_05

Re: IFR-1100S Not Working - Worth the trouble to fix?

Post by radio_05 »

I would agree, I have had many failed 1000-S units, and they weren't worth the trouble. Notorious power supplies, terrible interior fitting of modules. If I were to do it again I would dump the failed unit on ebay and use the proceeds plus only a few hundred dollars more to buy a more modern test set.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”