Antenna Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Antenna Question

Post by gatekeep »

Just a curious technical question, I have a UHF S-split (450-520) XTS, and a set of antennas one 438-470, the other a 470-520. I'm mostly transmitting at 460mhz (GMRS). Which antenna would be a better choice for use on the radio?
- Bryan
"So the best solution is to paint them to blue color and throw them to the sea?" in reference to MTS2000 F01/93.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Antenna Question

Post by FireCpt809 »

Id go with the lower split one. If your primarly in the 460s
gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Post by gatekeep »

Thats what I was thinking, but would there be any draw backs to using the 470-520 ant? Tx Power Reflection and the such? I do have *some* freq's that are also in the radio that are in the 470mhz range.
- Bryan
"So the best solution is to paint them to blue color and throw them to the sea?" in reference to MTS2000 F01/93.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

TX or RX at the higher freq?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Phasing relationships will occur with antennas used out of band, with the best being in-band, naturally.

Impedance changes will take place and using a higher band antenna on a lower frequency will change your radiation angle, as TXing on a higher tuned antenna with a lower frequency, your radiation angle will be directed more toward the sky, and just the opposite when the antenna is being used below the tuned frequency range.

Near field performance will probably not be noticeable, but range will be.

Using antennas out of band will corrupt your pattern, and you may not like the up-tilt or down-tilt that takes place.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”