APX7000 Mode Selector Switch: Stiff & No Mechanical Feedback

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

APX7000 Mode Selector Switch: Stiff & No Mechanical Feedback

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Gents:

We have a large number of new APX7000 portable radios (equipped with VHF and UHF bands). On maybe 5% of them, we have noticed that the top mounted mode selector switch is really, really hard to turn, and there is almost zero mechanical feedback on each of the 16 detents. You can hardly tell by touch or feel when you have switched modes, other than having to look at the display. The vast majority of our new APX radios have mode selector switches that turn easily, and have lots of tactile feedback so you can change modes by touch sense alone. We will be sending the problem units back to the depot for warranty repair. Just wondering if we got real unlucky, or perhaps are other folks experiencing similar QC problems with their APX radios?

Thanks guys for any help on this!
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Re: APX7000 Mode Selector Switch: Stiff & No Mechanical Feed

Post by MotoFAN »

One more expensive toy with poor selector.

I don't like XTS3000 due the very fast loosing of mechanical feedback, backlashes and non-constant required force to switch channels in different positions of selector.

I like JEDI because it has very reliable selector with good mechanical feedback no backlash even after few years of usage!
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

MotoFAN wrote:One more expensive toy with poor selector.

I don't like XTS3000 due the very fast loosing of mechanical feedback, backlashes and non-constant required force to switch channels in different positions of selector.

I like JEDI because it has very reliable selector with good mechanical feedback no backlash even after few years of usage!
I carry a 3k every day for work and my volly FD. I havent had a single problem like that, and Ive had it for over 2 years now.

And thanks for the heads up ASTROMODAT! I was thinking about shelling out the cash for one, but Ill wait until they get that fixed if it is QC.
Tyler Lewis
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Seen a bit of this at the shop. The knob has been over pressed down when installed. pull the knob off and reinstall.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

desperado wrote:Seen a bit of this at the shop. The knob has been over pressed down when installed. pull the knob off and reinstall.
I just got one of our APX7000 radios back from the repair depot. You were exactly correct, desperado! It was simply that the rubber boot over the channel selector knob had been forced down way too tight at the factory. I was afraid it was going to need major surgery. Now that I know the problem, I will try removing and reseating the other problematic boots. Kind of surprising that they are letting these ship out like this. I think maybe 5% of our 7000's have this symptom, but if all it takes is to remove & reseat the boot, that's no biggie.

Thanks for the heads up, desperato!
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Post by MOEtorola »

desperado wrote:Seen a bit of this at the shop. The knob has been over pressed down when installed. pull the knob off and reinstall.
You got it, thats what I did with mine, works great.
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Post by MOEtorola »

Just got a new APX in and the rubber boot is removed now. FYI
loband
What radios do you own?: APX7500 plus too many to list

Post by loband »

I too have a factory fresh APX with the small mode knob. I would have prefered the first generation larger knob for easier mode selection. I talked with the FL depot and the "new" knob design was because of complaints of the channel changing when rubbing on things when carried.....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”