Recent CPS cancellations ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Recent CPS cancellations ?

Post by RadioSouth »

In anticipation of changing my Spectra's over to MCS2000's I went over to MOL to purchase MCS2000 CPS and noticed it was NLA.
Searching a bit the MCS/MTS combo subscription also NLA so was MTSX and even HT1000. There was a thread the other day where someone mentioned the Astro25 CPS was to switch over to narrowband only in the near future. Possibly for the same reason they're cancelling the CPS/RSS for recently cancelled radios rather than issue another software revision ?
twowaytekk

Re: Recent CPS cancellations ?

Post by twowaytekk »

They are in fact NLA. I'm sure it has nothing to do with narrowbanding, as the MCS and some HT1000 will do narrowband. I'm sure it has more to do with marketing.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Might be but seems to be a earlier than normal support cancellation. This along with the heads up someone provided the other day that 25/30 KHz spacings were to be eliminated in future Astro25 CPS revisions led me to believe that the mentioned cancellations might be more than a coincidence.
If Motorola's intent was to eliminate wideband programming options they just might have NLA'd these RSS/CPS packages rather than issue a revision that limits programming to 12.5 channels. (I recall they had a 5 year target of available support after model cancellation, not sure we're quite there on these models).
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

MCS2000 /MTS2000 / MTSX / HT1000 are all outside of the support window.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RFguy wrote:MCS2000 /MTS2000 / MTSX / HT1000 are all outside of the support window.
There is some debate about this. The 900MHz MTS2000s are supported through the end of this year, but all the other models are off support. I am still trying to track down hard copies of the cancellation notices. IIRC all the MTS models were canceled at the end of 2006, but Motorola insists they were canceled in mid 2004. There are a couple threads here that discuss the confusion Motorola created when they EOL'd the HT1000 and family, but nothing concrete. If anyone has copies of the cancellation notices please PM me.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Also, I can assure you /\/\ is still supporting 800MHz MTS2000s for some customers. The kind of customers that have a state contract to buy EFJs and cannot, by law, procure new Motorola radios... better to keep the old ones supported and in service as long as possible to deny the competition a sale....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”