Just when I thought I had seen everything

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Andy Corbin

Just when I thought I had seen everything

Post by Andy Corbin »

Had a mobile user (VHF Hi), tell me his antenna lead broke recently and he took it to a garage for a quick fix. Antenna is a 3db NMO trunk deck mount. When he described it to me, I just HAD to look. The center lead and shield had broken loose from the NMO mount. The garage had soldered a 12" piece of 14 gauge hookup wire to the center conductor and attached an electrical quick connect to the wire and female to the center conductor of the coax. For grins and giggles, I checked the forward and reflected power. 30 watts forward, 15 watts reflected.

After the repair, I was showing 42 watts forward and couldn't measure the reflected (on the 5watt scale the meter barely moved).

<sigh>
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Just when I thought I had seen everything

Post by FireCpt809 »

Thats right up there with the guy who screwed bolt into the antenna connector on a radius portable.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

FireCpt809 wrote:Thats right up there with the guy who screwed bolt into the antenna connector on a radius portable.
Well, if the portable was UHF and the bolt was about 6" long, think of the power handling capabilities. :lol:
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

Users on an 800 trunked system; want 'more range'. They 'have a buddy who does CB', tells them them bigger the antenna the better. Soooooo, they take off the 800 MHz, gain antenna & put a 27 MHz antenna on the NMO mount. THEN they come into the shop, complaining they can't talk on the system at all.

The first few dozen times it happens you try to educate them. But it keeps happening. The bill to the office is small enough and rare enough to not ring an alarm. So it still happens.

Finally, you just curse under your breath.

You can't fix stupid.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

hey it's cool....if we get 25 watts with 12 volts we should get 50 watts with 24 volts

right??
kb4mdz

Post by kb4mdz »

Riggggghhhhhhhhhht.

Yeah, let me know how that's working out for you.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:hey it's cool....if we get 25 watts with 12 volts we should get 50 watts with 24 volts

right??
Just don't hook up to the -48 bus. You'll get 100 watts, but all the RF will be upside-down.
kb4mdz

Post by kb4mdz »

But that's how I tell people to make it so nobody else can listen to them - turn the radio upside down, and that inverts the sine waves; the other guy has to do it too.

tvsjr wrote:
escomm wrote:hey it's cool....if we get 25 watts with 12 volts we should get 50 watts with 24 volts

right??
Just don't hook up to the -48 bus. You'll get 100 watts, but all the RF will be upside-down.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

that darn'd blasted voice inversion!
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
gopher

Post by gopher »

Andy Corbin wrote: For grins and giggles, I checked the forward and reflected power. 30 watts forward, 15 watts reflected.
eh it should be fine
as a testament to the quality of Motorola radios,
We have a older uhf mobile at work setup as a base, maybe a maxtrac, not sure
4 years ago someone disconnected the antenna and removed it.
Its been in use transmitting periodically every day since then with no antenna.
I thought it would die after a few days, but amazingly it keeps going!
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

gopher wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote: For grins and giggles, I checked the forward and reflected power. 30 watts forward, 15 watts reflected.
eh it should be fine
as a testament to the quality of Motorola radios,
We have a older uhf mobile at work setup as a base, maybe a maxtrac, not sure
4 years ago someone disconnected the antenna and removed it.
Its been in use transmitting periodically every day since then with no antenna.
I thought it would die after a few days, but amazingly it keeps going!
I know most modern transmitters have SWR foldback protection built in and can handle a dead short or an open line, or anything in between.
I knew the antenna system I was looking at was way out in left field and was unacceptable in its current configuration, BUT, my curiosity got the better of me so I just had to take a measurement.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I had a utility truck driver snap off his 900mhz Motorola whip antenna. He took a piece of 14g solid wire, stripped it and made a new 3db gain 900mhz antenna open coils and all. Then he clamped it in between the chrome nut and nmo mount. If he hadn't shorted it out it probably would have worked.
ncsradio
New User

Post by ncsradio »

I had a guy try to sell me "gain" coax. He sold it by the linear foot!
kb4mdz

Post by kb4mdz »

No. Please, tell me this was just a bad pun. I've seen stupid people, I've seen my share of shysters, and stupid shysters, but 'gain' coax?? Nawww...
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

kb4mdz wrote:No. Please, tell me this was just a bad pun. I've seen stupid people, I've seen my share of shysters, and stupid shysters, but 'gain' coax?? Nawww...

Hey, the Motorola sales forces suckers public safety agencies to buy extra features they don't need all the time. Surprised that they haven't come up with something like this. Wouldn't put it past them trying.

Jim
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

The sad thing is that if we could find an analog to erbium doped optical fiber, but for RF, you *could* have a transmission line with gain.

Of course, if I could find a sufficient quantity of negative-mass matter I could build a stable wormhole....
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

kb4mdz wrote:No. Please, tell me this was just a bad pun. I've seen stupid people, I've seen my share of shysters, and stupid shysters, but 'gain' coax?? Nawww...
I recall back around 1970 there really was some outfit that was nationally marketing "gain coax". The target market was primarily CB but I don't doubt that some salesmen tried to hawk it to two way business and public safety customers.

On the subject of stupid shysters, I was pestered incessantly back in the 90's by a salesman that claimed they had VHF and UHF mobile antennas that would eliminate intermod and interference by high Q resonance tuned to the users frequency.

I kept telling him I was not interested because I did not want the hassle of critically tuning mobile antennas, if it did indeed have narrow bandwith it would not handle 5 MHz tx/rx separtation for repeater operation and the attention off resonance could not be more that a few db and not sufficient to eliminate interference. He kept calling insisting that if their antennas were properly tuned they would pass all user frequencies and block other in-band signals.

It was also a low profile antenna but they claimed very high gain to due resonance effects.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

The radio shop that services the dept radios has a section above the door called the "Wall of Flame" There are pieces of installs and re-installs hanging up there that make you shake your head....pigtail fuses with a bypass wire crimped on both ends...ground wires spliced to power wires....coax repaired with wire nuts.....

Fowler

:lol:
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

It is now your duty to take digital pictures of those pictures and share them with the interwebs.
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

kb4mdz wrote:But that's how I tell people to make it so nobody else can listen to them - turn the radio upside down, and that inverts the sine waves; the other guy has to do it too.
There is a retailer here in town that uses CP100's. One day I was in there and I noticed they were holding the radios upside-down when they talked. I asked why, and the cashier said it was to prevent people with scanners from hearing them. My reply: "Really?" She said a couple of the managers tested it and it worked!
kb4mdz wrote:You can't fix stupid.
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
wb0qqk
Batboard $upporter

Post by wb0qqk »

k2hz wrote:
It was also a low profile antenna but they claimed very high gain to due resonance effects.
Back in the mid-70's, there was a shyster who ran a CB shop near the I-80 truck stop in Council Bluffs who was marketing a lubrication
product he called "Antenna Slick." The idea was to lube the antenna rod and make it slippery "so those pesky little SWRs can't hang on."
Fator nusquam. Denego omnis. Requiro testimonium. Genero Reverto-Criminatio!"

(Admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof. Make Counter-Allegations!)
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

"There is a retailer here in town that uses CP100's. One day I was in there and I noticed they were holding the radios upside-down when they talked. I asked why, and the cashier said it was to prevent people with scanners from hearing them. My reply: "Really?" She said a couple of the managers tested it and it worked!"

Speech Inversion Encryption...... :lol:

Fowler :lol:
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

abbylind wrote:
"There is a retailer here in town that uses CP100's. One day I was in there and I noticed they were holding the radios upside-down when they talked. I asked why, and the cashier said it was to prevent people with scanners from hearing them. My reply: "Really?" She said a couple of the managers tested it and it worked!"

Speech Inversion Encryption...... :lol:

Fowler :lol:
All the RF fell to the floor.

It probably cut down the range of the portables having the antenna next to their arm. Similar to working from a belt loop.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

OLD story, but along the same storyline...At the Freeport mine in Globe, AZ, a worker broke off his highband 1/4 wave, so he fabricated a nifty gain antenna and shoved it through the rubber.
The coil/whip combo was 29", and the coil diameter was 3", with 6 turns spaced at about 1/2".

He was less than a 1/4 mile from our repeater, and it could not hear him..I wonder where that RF went?
We saved that 'antenna' for about a year before we tossed it, but did let the mine super take a look, and he immediately told his men to NEVER play with the radio system.
THEY learned, others never do.
The other mines never gave us as many fits with dump truck techs as FMI did, but they also did their share of field mods....And those foil wrapped glass fuses, and the ATC fuses with wire around the blades scares the hell out of me.
I can see it now....A truck fire in a desert surrounding, with flammable chemicals and few people able to assist in time...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”