Need opinion for a Mitsubishi Lancer VRX installation - PICS

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sheldon

Need opinion for a Mitsubishi Lancer VRX installation - PICS

Post by sheldon »

Hi guys!

I thought I would put this one out to the experts and see what comes back. I have the following equipment I need to install into my car:

W3 XTL5000 Mid Power UHF 380-470MHz
W3 Astro Spectra High Power Dash Unit UHF 403-433MHz
W3 Astro Spectra High Power Dash Unit VHF 146-174MHz

These radios are complete and all thats needed are antennas and mounts as well as mounting locations for the antennas. Im looking for feedback on what antennas and mounting positions would be best for my vehicle.

At this stage, the radio units are looking to be mounted in the boot (trunk) but I could also mount them underneath the front driver and passenger chairs if needed.

One last thing, where do you think would be best to mount the 3 x W3 HHCH's for my radios? I need the W3 for the XTL5000 to be within the drivers reach; the other 2 W3's, not so critical.

The vehicle

The passengers side

The drivers side

The rear left of the vehicle

The rear right of the vehicle

The rear of the vehicle

And side-on of the vehicle

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated guys. Take care!
mr.syntrx

Re: Need opinion for a Mitsubishi Lancer VRX installation -

Post by mr.syntrx »

Gungahlin, eh? :)
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

Lol, near the ponds!
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

My personal opinion of how I would handle this....

I would place your two W3 Control Heads directly under the air vents on either side of the AM/FM radio in the center console. I would do this by fabricating a bracket that will extend a short distance into the dash, and affixed with screws inside the gap between the gray and silver panels. This will leave no holes visible when the radios are removed. I would place the O5 control head on a similar bracket extending from the right-hand side of the upper compartment on the center console. With proper fitting you should be able to maintain the use of that compartment door.

As for antennas, I would put a 1/4 wave black or chrome Comtelco A1511 in the center of the trunk lid for the VHF, and your UHF antennas to either side of that. That spoiler in the back is going to mess with antenna performance though..

Just my 2 cents.
Jake
duncanville1
New User

Post by duncanville1 »

See if this install gives you any ideas.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”