The Elusive WHITE SABER **TEST RESULTS ARE IN!!!**

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

The Elusive WHITE SABER **TEST RESULTS ARE IN!!!**

Post by mikegilbert »

So I was talking with a friend about clear radio cases and I mentioned Jurassic Park. I couldn't remember if the Sabers were clear or white.

10 minutes later- the screen captures were done.

They looked like the coolest radio ever. They still look good today, enjoy.

-Mike

Last edited by mikegilbert on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Jurassic Park Sabers...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

In addition to whatever electronic gimmickry was used to
internally jazz up the radios, I've always thought that what they did
to the cases was to paint them that off-white color.

Also, are the cases the very old ones that had no
RAT buttons?

In any event, having these photos in one place for everyone to
finally get a good look at is pretty slick, IMHO.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

This actually has been brought up a few times:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=2381
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=1374
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6461

(links stolen from another thread)

I'd normally close the discussion, however, you provided some pretty good photos/images of the actual radios, which I don't think people have posted before, so go forth, discuss your thoughts on spray painting cases :)

-Alex
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

I saw them, but didn't want to get caught up in the "Radio in Movies"

Srry about that
Last edited by mikegilbert on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Nice, very sporty. Like Tom said probably painted, after all they went thru the trouble to trick them so the transmit light and display are on all the time, why not give them a painting while they're at it. Anythings possible in Hollywood.
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

I'm gonna go get a can of Krylon Fusion and try it out on a spare M2 5000 case.

So, what color?

I'm thinkin Jurassic White. 8)
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Check out the chick, in both pictures she's in she's got a radio in both hands in true BatLabs fashion. :lol:

I'm going to give it a try also if Fusion is available as widely as seems to be on their site. (Wal-Mart, Ace, Tru Value, AutoZone.....) have a few HT1000 cases to mess with and I never did find the part # for the HT1000 yellow housing. Yeah, I know, I carry mine in the woods at times and it would be a heck of a lot easier to find.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

WalMart had it ! 3.97 a can, the spraying starts tomorrow.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

you know what that color scheme reminds me of? The Sony Outback series boom boxes, CD players and Walkmans that were popular in the late 80's and early 90's...my money says the Hollywood boys were trying to imitate that then familiar rugged look of those high end Sony consumer electronics...which added to the ambiance of the film.

They look cool but I think I'll keep my newly acquired Saber III VHF (thanks Tom in DC) and UHF SS3 (thanks Rod Farva) as they are...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

if the krylon dont work so good hit up the local Autobody supply house
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Re: Jurassic Park Sabers...

Post by fogster »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Also, are the cases the very old ones that had no
RAT buttons?
Sure looks that way from the gang charger.

I happen to have a broken (unprogrammable) Saber 3 that was pre-RAT. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :lol: I can't quite tell how they handle paint on the side (the non-PTT side), as part of the front remains black.

What's up with the backlighting? It's the right 'color,' but yet it doesn't look right. Too bright, and too white?

Edit: the top couple photos show a black dot on the side of the radio above the monitor button, on the little section that juts out. Looks like there's one on the opposite side of the radio, too. Any idea what gives?
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

Posted the larger version. I've got full-size pics on request.
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

Looks like screws or something metal at the top on both sides?
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

Those are excellent pics, but I'm a little confused.

You were talking to a friend and THE screen captures were done? Screen captures from where? Were you expecting them?

How did you get those photos ?
Analog already is interoperable.

mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

I was talking to a friend (over aim to be specific) He noticed a clear motorola case for sale. Already off the market now 8)

We got to talking about diff case colors and what not. I remembered seeing the sabers in Jurassic park so I popped the DVD in my Apple and hit play. The Apple DVD player app. disables screen printing/snapshots due to © issues, but there's a way around it...

For you mac owners:
  • 1. Open up the dvd player
    2. Find the image you want to capture
    3. Open Up "terminal"
    4. Type "screencapture -i file.pdf" to make a pdf file. Or "screencapture -c" to copy the frame of video to the clipboard
    5. Hit enter, and voila! A nice high-rez dvd screenshot.
    6. If you used the "-c" command, you'll need to open an image editor to crop the image.
Now I need to scan thru Die Hard, and every other movie I own with radios in it.

-Mike
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I bet they did just use screws to keep the thing together after modding it and gutting it.

BTW, I'm thinking that glossy apliance enamel paint may work. That :o sticks to anything and is hard as diamonds.
Twisted_Pear wrote:Looks like screws or something metal at the top on both sides?
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I thought they made color kits where you can boil (or bake?) the plastic in this concoction and it dyes the plastic a new, desired, color.

That way the paint doesn't wear from severe use.
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

One department I worked for issued me an 800Mhz MTS2000 that I semi-ruined.

I got dragged down a hallway, getting white paint all over the face of my radio.

SO, thinking I could clean it up, I got some goo gone and tried to clean the case. It got the paint off, but it acted like it sucked the black right out of the case.

Made it easy for me to tell which radio was mine, maybe you guys could try that, it would prolly last longer than just painting it.

ah.

Now that the pics have come up (dialup rocks, doesn't it? keeps me humble) I also agree that those are painted.

I am thinking the displays were made by printing a green rectangle with semi-appropriate legends on a color transparency, cutting them out, gluing them into the case, putting a piece of white lexan behind that and then using an incandescent bulb to backlight them.

-Shawn

-Shawn
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

High_order1 wrote:I am thinking the displays were made by printing a green rectangle with semi-appropriate legends on a color transparency, cutting them out, gluing them into the case, putting a piece of white lexan behind that and then using an incandescent bulb to backlight them.
Looking at them again, I can definitely see support for this theory. That would also explain how they kept the LED on full-time: the 'radio' probably didn't have radio parts at all, just a hard-wired LED and a bulb for the 'display.'
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

So I took a beat up M2 case I and gave it a "Maaco" Paint job...here are the results.

If it holds up, I'll do an other one (and actually mask it off better)

Before

1st Coat (areas that look oversprayed are just smooth dents in the plastic)

Finished product

Last edited by mikegilbert on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Next - you need to change the LED's in the keypad to be blue.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Wow, that's insane!

Looks like I've got a new project. I have probably close to 30 or so Jedi cases kicking around, it wouldn't hurt to practice!

A dark blue Astro Saber. Oh yes, it shall happen.

Edit:

It shall be done.
Last edited by bellersley on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

I can see now that it's only a matter of time before that "Baby Phat" Pink XTS actually exists...
Jake
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

HAHAHAHA- I should do it!

I'll have the Storm Trooper radio, and Bellersley can have C3PO's radio.
Last edited by mikegilbert on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

alex wrote:Next - you need to change the LED's in the keypad to be blue.
Good idea Alex, I'll "pimp out" a M2 keyborad for Mike. I have a lot of iDEN units with LEDs wanting to go to a real radio anyway.

Jim
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

excellent

I'd do the neon pink 5k in a heartbeat
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

sglass wrote:excellent

I'd do the neon pink 5k in a heartbeat
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

n7maq wrote:
alex wrote:Next - you need to change the LED's in the keypad to be blue.
Good idea Alex, I'll "pimp out" a M2 keyborad for Mike. I have a lot of iDEN units with LEDs wanting to go to a real radio anyway.

Jim
People have been saying for ages that they have wanted to do these sort of mods for sh!ts and grins. It would be great to see it done. I personally don't have the soldering skills needed for the task.

I think I could find one of the cell phone stores around NYC who do mods to probably do the keypad... wouldn't be that hard. I just know I'd fry the flex...

-Alex
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Nice Mike, mine didn't turn out as well, I tried to make a couple of SP50 housings safety yellow but came out blotchy and then the nozzle was spitting a bit which made it worse. You do any surf prep. prior to spraying ?
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

from photo number two, looks like you used that screwdriver to pry of the case! :-?
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

RadioSouth wrote:Nice Mike, mine didn't turn out as well, I tried to make a couple of SP50 housings safety yellow but came out blotchy and then the nozzle was spitting a bit which made it worse. You do any surf prep. prior to spraying ?
I did 4 VERY THIN coats of paint. I bought the satin white. The gloss might be a thicker mix.

It was my first case crack. I've never had a problem opening em that way. The case was beat to hell, so I didn't go easy on it.
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

A thought might be to sand blast it first?
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_temp ... ct_details#

I wonder how this would look:

It looks like that stuff that changes colour depending on the angle you view it from.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I have a bunch of busted Saber III cases.

Only problem is the fairly deep "POLICE" engraving on the front I'd have to fill in.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Does anyone have an Astro Saber model 2 or one case they'd be willing to part with, for a fee of course. Thanks! I really want to bling up a radio.. It would be a great hamfest radio!
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

You guys will look like a bunch of experimental crack monkeys, running around Dayton with your chrome radio's and "spinner" mics attached. :D :D :D :D :D

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

oops

Post by High_order1 »

the 'radio' probably didn't have radio parts at all, just a hard-wired LED and a bulb for the 'display.'

Oops. Left that part out. Generally, big-budget productions don't like unnecessary transmitting, as it not only interferes with wireless mikes, it can bother remote - controlled fx, and the remote lens focus puller on the cameras.

Yeah, I think they were empty saving a 9 volt and some model railroad lighting and wiring....

Those paint jobs turned out *much* better than I was envisioning. I see large prices on eBay for some sellers shortly : eBay auction34567890 STORMTROOPER RADIO - REAL! lol
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I am trying to resist the urge for making my own "Stormtrooper" radio. But I am not being so successful.

1 issue though. Are you worried about "clogging" the grille for the speaker at all?
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

there has to be somewhere you can send it to have the plastic chrome sprayed on it.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

HLA wrote:there has to be somewhere you can send it to have the plastic chrome sprayed on it.
There is an actual plating process for plastic, and it looks almost as good as chrome on a metal product.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Try to picture this! A bunch of XTS5000s in various colors, sent to the depot for service. How long will the Mexicans look for the part #'s for all the different housings?
Dave
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

DJP126 wrote:Try to picture this! A bunch of XTS5000s in various colors, sent to the depot for service. How long will the Mexicans look for the part #'s for all the different housings?
¿Amigo, cuál es el número de pieza para una caja blanca? Gringos de mierda
JAYMZ wrote:1 issue though. Are you worried about "clogging" the grille for the speaker at all?
I removed the actual screen behind the grille- as well as the ring for the speaker. Glue should help hold it in place again.

Several LIGHT coats of paint were used to avoid clogging the grille. The "fake" holes were a bit of a challenge, but overall it turned out okay. I'm going to re-spray the PTT side of the radio.

I masked off the whole button module to add some contrast to the paint scheme. I'm going to mask off the buttons only and keep the whole thing white. Between the buttons, antenna labels and batt, there's enough black on there.

-Mike
Last edited by mikegilbert on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scanner_freak

Post by scanner_freak »

DJP126 wrote:Try to picture this! A bunch of XTS5000s in various colors, sent to the depot for service. How long will the Mexicans look for the part #'s for all the different housings?
:lol: :lol:
Deputy Disaster

Post by Deputy Disaster »

mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

That picture is my mad photoshopping skills at work.
Deputy Disaster

Post by Deputy Disaster »

It was my avatar on hamsexy for a while :P

I so want to chrome my saber
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

if you get it chromed it'll go faster. what's next, rhino lining to make it bulletproof?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

HLA wrote:what's next, rhino lining to make it bulletproof?
Hmmm Line X is across the street......sounds like next weeks project!! :evil:

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”