Anyone actually ever test their R portable fully underwater?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone who has a XTS/astro/saber R has ever completely submerged the unit? (the easy way, or the hard way :smile: If so , was it still in working condition? How long was the unit submerged for?

Any stories/comments are welcomed
jim

Post by jim »

No....but I did get to test a dual-band Kenwood under water and it failed instantly.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Not a Saber or newer model, but once I dunked an MX300R in a fish tank while turned on with the volume turned up. The antenna stuck out of the water and the radio was on the NOAA weather channel (162.550) so I could hear how long the radio would operate under water. The battery died after about five hours (normal time, given the duty) and the radio never leaked, fully submerged. (But not under pressure like it would be ten feet down or more)

I've been tempted to test an Astro R II housing I've got sitting here with no radio in it. I may build up the frame with all correct parts and put a moisture indicator patch inside it, tie a string to the antenna, and drop it in the pool for a few hours. If the patch stays dry, I'll be reasonably satisfied. Since it's a II model, I'll be able to monitor the patch right thru the display window.

Elroy
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

On 2002-01-26 00:38, Elroy Jetson wrote:
...I dunked an MX300R in a fish tank...the radio was on the NOAA weather channel (162.550)...
I'm surprised it wasn't on Marine VHF channel 16!?! :smile:
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Motorola says: there Marine radios are tested for Five min. at a depth of 1 meter. LOL
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

Whell that works great for the marine radios, if you use it in your bathtub. PS does that count as "marine mobile", if I jump on a trampoline, can I say i'm air mobile? J/K :smile:
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Go to the Google search engine & type in: XTS3000R...They claim the same test was done!
have fun on your trampoline..
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I went swimming with my SABER R II vhf for about 2 hours. It went down about 3 feet at times. No problems until I pushed one of the buttons. They should be left alone until on the surface since there is no seal other than contact type.

Still didn't really have any problems. A drop got inside around the button but that was it.

Sounds weired under water.
Small Kahuna

Post by Small Kahuna »

XTS3K's are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. Immediate retreival may save one. Any longer, and "goodnight Irene." Maybe fresh from the factory you might have a chance. Remember these radios just snap together!!!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”