Centracom II Trunking

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JwCo16

Centracom II Trunking

Post by JwCo16 »

I’m wondering if someone who is familiar with the old Motorola Centracom II could answer a question for me. We use 3 of the old “button and LED” consoles at our department. They were used to control 460 MHz repeaters, until we switched to the county’s 800 type II trunking system. When the subcontractor disconnected the conventional and hooked up the trunked radios they simply wired the consoles to MCS2000 mobiles.

Now here is the problem…. The console mutes the speaker while transmitting, we do not hear the connect tone and the dispatchers clip off the first few seconds of each transmission. In some cases they put out an entire job and when they let go of the button they hear the bong, indicating they were never transmitting.

Can this be fixed using the old consoles and how? Apparently a Motorola shop told our boss the console was too old to fix and tried to sell them a new one. Being as they don’t want to spend any money, it will never be fixed. I have to believe we’re not the first people in the world to use a Centracom II with MCS2000 radios and someone knows how to fix it.

Thanks for any help!!
-Joe
xmo

Post by xmo »

From way back when they introduced their first trunking systems right down to today, Motorola has cautioned about this problem of connecting control stations to remote control devices.

Whether as simple as a desk set or as sophisticated as a Centracom console, the solution is still the same - the control device needs to be configured for duplex operation so that it does not mute the talk permit / reject supervision tones.

CCII has provisions for duplex for situations like this. A competent shop should be able to handle this issue.

All it takes are a few simple programming & jumper changes.
JwCo16

Thanks!

Post by JwCo16 »

Thank you XMO, I thought it could be done. No major hardware changes, right?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”