MTS/MT 2000 TRANSMIT NOISE

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Smurf

Post by Smurf »

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a department issue MTS 2000, and just purchased a used MT-2000 both in the UHF Band. On the MTS-2000, almost a year old now, when transmiting it sounds like a gust of wind is going by the mic...when there is none at all.. it can get so bad at times that the users message is unreadable. I have also just started to notice it on my MT-2000. I am operating in the "T" band, on a 12.5 spaced channel, on a repeater. But the noise is present while talking through the repeater and while on direct. On the MT-2000, it was just bench tested all seemed to be in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for a great site!
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

On 2002-02-03 16:36, Smurf wrote:
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a department issue MTS 2000, and just purchased a used MT-2000 both in the UHF Band. On the MTS-2000, almost a year old now, when transmiting it sounds like a gust of wind is going by the mic...when there is none at all.. it can get so bad at times that the users message is unreadable. I have also just started to notice it on my MT-2000. I am operating in the "T" band, on a 12.5 spaced channel, on a repeater. But the noise is present while talking through the repeater and while on direct. On the MT-2000, it was just bench tested all seemed to be in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for a great site!
You have an MTS and, an MT which now both have noise. correct? If both have noise, I would check into whoever runs the UHF repeater..then the way the radios are configured second! Is anyone else having a noise problem? Last for now if you MT2000 is UHF you or whoever goes into the MTSX software should change the 12.5 ch. space to 20/25. Did anything change in your system? keep on talking.. Ed
Yosh

Post by Yosh »

Well... I too have had this problem on several Jedi radios (MT2000 & HT1000). I don't know what it is/was, but I have found that after taking the radio apart and cleaning (with a pencil eraser and contact cleaner) all of the places where things make contact (like the grounds to the chassis, the antenna to pcb, shield to pcb and shield to chassis, and the heat sink (reapply heat sink compound after) the problem went away.

I have also heard static "crackle" when the radio was squeezed together when transmitting. This was also cured to some extent.

This had NOTHING to do with the repeater system that I was using, or the programming of the radio. The noise could be heard through the repeater or direct, just like you have explained.

I'm sure there is a reason that cleaning the contacts cured mine. Hope this helps.

-
Yosh
Will

Post by Will »

There were several SRN's concerning this issue. #1206 comes to mind, adding conductive pads on the shield to front cover. Someone may have these SRN's in a computer format that you mite be able to look at.

In the "T" band you need to set the channel option to 20/25khz. Also check if the ALC is set on.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Ah, the joys of snap-together radio technology. That's a very common problem with all Jedi series radios. The RF contact on the RF board and the mating contact in the frame tend to slide across each other when you squeeze the radio in your hand. It will eventually kill the output device in the radio if it's not dealt with. Clean the contacts thoroughly with a Q-tip dipped in acetone or alcohol after carefully bending them out for a little more contact pressure.
You may also want to apply a small dab of electrician's contact grease.

That'll fix it...for a while, at least.

Elroy
Nand

Post by Nand »

Last edited by Nand on Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

thanks everyone for all your help.... I will let you know what happens....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”