Quantar question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xmo

Post by xmo »

In the olden days [Micor, MSR2000] base station control functions were performed by a shelf of plug in cards. Dedicated cards performed specific functions: line driver, squelch gate, tone decoders, etc. The wild card was created to allow custom functions to be performed.

It had tone decoders [for decoding from the wireline] latches, inputs & outputs [with provision for relays] and lots of jumpers to allow it to be set up for whatever you wanted it to do. For example, a console tone sequence could set a latch, drive a relay, and change frequencies on a link receiver [or turn on a pump, open a door, or whatever else you could imagineer]

In the Quantar, the wild card function is mostly software - that is to say you don't have jumpers anymore but you set up action tables with the RSS. Inputs and outputs are provided by hardware on the stations wireline board. It is very flexible. Lots of fun - sort of factory supported hacking!

We discussed some wildcard functionality in the recent thread on the Quantar SAM:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=25657
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

It is a software option, and you can add it on in the field as a FLASHport upgrade, if you so desire.

BASIC WILDCARD OPERATION X233 $400.00

Provides capability for up to 8 inputs, 7 which are transistors, 1 optocoupler and 4 outputs, 3 of which are transistor closure to ground and 1 is a relay course.

ADVANCED WILDCARD OPER X157 $1,000.00

Provides capability for up to 12 inputs, 8 which are transistors, 4 optocoupler and 10 outputs, 6 of which are transistor closure to ground and 4 is a relay course. Includes 8 wire wireline.

Keep in mind that if you decide to FLASHport upgrade later, the 4-wire WIB will be fine, but if you opt to go with the Advanced Wildcard, then you will need the 8 wire WIB.

Larry
RKG

Post by RKG »

In simplified terms, the Quantar "wildcard" function is a set of software commands that does three things:

First, it allows you to direct certain signals (both logical and audio) to various pins on the 25-pair connector on the backplane, as either inputs or outputs.

Second, it allows you to define the electrical function of a set of pins, for either logical input or logical output.

Third, it allows you to program a series of "if -- then" commands, where the "if" states include internal station functions (e.g., if receiver unsquelches with valid freq and tone) or input states, and the "then" actions include virtually every function that the station is capable of performing.

Just as an example, you could install two Quantars, a "main" machine and a "standby" machine, and connect a wire between one of the logic pins on each machine (using the wildcard function to define the input on one machine and the output on the other). The standby machine is programmed as "standby," which means that it does not repeat detected input transmissions. However, if the "main" machine detects a fault that prevents it from repeating, a wildcard table can be programmed on the "main" machine to flip the logic state of the pin with the connected wire on it, and another wildcard table can be programmed on the "standby" machine so that if that logic state flips, the "standby" machine changes itself from "standby" mode to "main" mode, and takes over repeating.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The Quantar is very dicey machine in that there are a number of firmware loads on several boards that MUST be compatible. You could throw yourself into a tailspin quite easily if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing, and you get your machine into a mismatch configuration. There is a lot of seemingly innocuous stuff on the Quantar that can really throw you for a loop if you are not savvy on the Quant. It's not as simple as playing around with ASTRO P or M subscriber radios, for instance.

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

RKG, in your scenario, how do you propose to handle the RF I/O?

Larry

P.S. I believe there is a way to do this via the console operator, as follows:

ENH: MAIN/STANDBY OPERATION C753 509 $350.00
Provides console TRC control, external closure or hot switchover. Requires option X157. NOT COMPATIBLE with: X599 or X806; T5589 ASTRO-TAC Receiver
xmo

Post by xmo »

68P81085E35 is the right part number. You could try calling parts & tell them you are evaluating the suitability of the Quantar for an application and would like to order the manual for reference purposes. Worst they can do is say no. You could also ask the sales rep who will be selling the equipment if a manual could be obtained for evaluation purposes.

I have always defined hacking as making a product do something its designers hadn't thought of - pushing it to do what you want. That's the beauty of the wildcard - it adds user programmability to the Quantar.

I had a lot of fun with that recent project. Our mutual aid 800 repeaters have coverage overlap with another agencies mutual aid repeaters. These 800 stations are required to have the same PL nationwide. They are also supposed to be shut down when not in use.

Repeater enable/disable is easy enough with the factory TRC programming - but what if the reason you need the repeater is your center is isolated? No TRC. I wanted to be able to also activate the repeat function from one or more mobiles with the MDC RAC function.

SAM can do that - enable repeater from RAC - but the wildcard functionality enabled me to glue the console TRC control and the SAM control together - sort of like a pair of 'three-way' light switches.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

You might want to hold off on purchasing the Quantar DOS RSS manual. The software developers claim they will have the Quantar (and DIU) CPS on the shelf by very early 2Q04. Of course, as we all know, these software dates have a notorious habit of slipping...

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I agree, Shaun, that the Quantar Instruction manual is one of the most educational documents that Motorola supplies for its 2-Way equipment. I wish their ASTRO P&M instruction manuals were up to the same level of detail, and excellent style, etc. that the Quant stuff is. They need to transfer the Quantar Tec Writers over to the Subscriber Radio Group!

Larry
RKG

Post by RKG »

1. Astromodat: In the example (and it was just an example) I used, both repeaters are independent "in cabinet" repeaters, so no RF or audio I/O is required. However, it is pretty easy to define a backplane pin for virtually any desired audio signal: filters Rx audio, unprocessed Rx audio (discriminator output), TxAudio (in lieu of internal audio), AuxPL (mixed with internal audio; used for external controllers), audio gated (logic signal that becomes true when any defined conditions (COR, PL, DPL) are satisfied).

For a really clever use of wildcard programming, see the thread entitled "Quantar as a repeater and TAC receiver," from earlier this fall. (Alex: I don't know how to grab the URL of a prior thread.)

2. R0f: I don't know if you gotten your hands on one yet, but the Quantar RSS manual is one of the better books M has published; it is worth the investment even if you go to the promised CPS for this station. In addition, the Quantar "Instruction Manual" (68P81095E05-B) has a whole section in the back ("System Applications") with suggestions for wildcard programming.

For myself, I would be hesitant to migrate to Windows-based CPS for the Quantar until enough revs have come out to identify and eliminate the bugs. The transition to CPS for the MCS2000 and MTS2000 was not problem free. The Quantar RSS is easy to use and quite reliable.

3. A hint: if you're wondering why something in Quantar programming isn't working, or why some guy programmed something as he did, I find it more effective to spread a printout of the codeplug on a table with a cup of coffee than to pore over a computer screen. The trouble with most M software is that the "print" function consumes a pile of paper providing minimally useful info. The Quantar RSS allows you to re-direct a "print" to a file; you can then import this into a word processor, change the typeface to something small, cut out the lines (or pages) of empty blanks, and then print the whole thing out on 5-6 pages. I find this quite useful.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”