Quantar Replacement

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

Quantar Replacement

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The URL noted below gives a very high level (almost at a cartoon level) view of an IP Gateway for a Quantar, and an associated 2-Way radio system. I assume that the interconnection point to the Internet is at the DIU3000, perhaps out of the DIU3000 Communications Port (one of the 2 DB-25 connectors on the rear of the DIU3000)? Can anyone shed any light on this IP Gateway that is depicted in the drawing? Does this appear to involve VoIP?

http://www.westcanwireless.com/pdf/CompleteSolution.pdf

I understand that the new Motorola “top-tier” analog/digital repeater that replaces the now aging Quantar (which is now way overdue for market launch---last I heard, the Motorola Marketing Boys were sitting on the Quantar replacement for some unknown reason, even though it's supposed to be 100% ready to go to market) will have rich VoIP features, via new firmware in the DIU3000. In the meantime, does anyone know how to interconnect to the Internet via VoIP at the DIU3000, with its existing firmware? I don't see how this could be realistically accomplished without some sort of interim SP firmware in the DIU3000.

I really don't even see how the Quantar replacement is even relevant to VoIP, as the capability would be 100% contained in the DIU3000. I do know that the DIU3000 is expected to remain in-place until such point that Motorola goes 100% digital with a non-analog/digital only repeater, as in this latter case there will be no longer be any need for a DIU.

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Thanks for the PM, Jim! Kind of surprising, but at least now the pieces of the puzzle make a whole lot more sense! Leave it to Motorola, but then again, that's why I wouldn't want to compete with them!

Thanks again for the great info!

Larry

P.S. Do you still work for Motorola? Please PM me, if you would be so kind.
Ben137

Post by Ben137 »

ASTROMODAT wrote:Thanks again for the great info!
Can you share any of it with the rest of us?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

He PMed me as he is not comfortable posting it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

ASTROMODAT wrote:He PMed me as he is not comfortable posting it.
Then you should have kept it in PMs, instead of lording it over the other members.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I have seen numerous posts from the Moderators to stay away from PMs as they don't like loading up the sytem, etc. He PMed me, and I simply wanted to thank him, without having to load up the PMs. He came back with his private email, to then further avoid PMs, which I didn't have the first time around.

Larry
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I don't question your reasoning, but I wanted to point out how it appears to other members when you allude to 'secret' information on the board. The PM's are there for these purposes, and should be used accordingly. They take up no more space than a regular post...as long as people keep their PM boxes cleaned up, there isn't a problem.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Zaputil

Post by Zaputil »

The rumor I heard recently was that the Quantar replacement, called "Summit", will be available Q1 of 2005. It apparently is the new do-all transmitter from /\/\. VoIP, ASTRO, possibly upgradable to P39 APCO spec (TDMA)............ :wink:

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”