Need key info for Maxtrac locking mount!!!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kanabecsys

Need key info for Maxtrac locking mount!!!

Post by kanabecsys »

Hello all!

Finding myself in a bit of a prediciment... hoping maybe someone here can help.

I was called by a company which runs a fleet of Maxtracs to work on a few of their radios. The people in charge know NOTHING about their equipment, only that they can listen and push the PTT to respond (sounds like a fun job already, huh?). As it turns out, two of the radios needed to be replaced - simple enough. Only trouble is that they use the locking mounting brackets (believe the Mot part number to be HLN4426), and they have no idea what or where to find a key (they say their 'old' radio shop may have them - ha!).

Anybody have any info on these keys? Are they universal, or customer-specific, or unit-specific? Does any place stock replacements? I really don't want to damage them to get them open.

TIA,

Keith
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Need key info for Maxtrac locking mount!!!

Post by Josh »

Usually they're all the same.

But there can be up to 3 variations of the Chicago Lock and Key 2135.

I have just one and it unlocks everything I've ever come across thus far.

People here on ebay probably have them for sale.

-Josh
rolncode3

Post by rolncode3 »

How about here? Waltel
kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

Wow! Didn't know they sold the keys that way (like on Waltel). I had read up on Repeater Builder about these keys, but I thought they'd be a little tougher to get nowadays.

I do have a 2135 key (or two) around here somewhere, but it appeared that the slot on the lock was smaller than the slot on most Mot locks. I'll have to dig them up and try them.

Until then, there's one of these locking brackets up on eBay for under $10, so I'm planning on buying it (if not for the key, then for the fact that I'll have at least one replacement when I drill the existing ones out).

Keith
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Do they require the locks to be re-installed?

Generally, the lock assembly is mounted to the trunnion with a couple of really short screws from the inside. If the client doesn't care about the locks, then just remove the whole shebang after you open them up.

Side note - all of the ones I've ever dealt with used a standard 2135 key.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”