Jedi funky power connector - can I replace it?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motor59
Batboard $upporter

Jedi funky power connector - can I replace it?

Post by motor59 »

A new one for me...

Had a user bring in a portable this morning, asking to get it 'fixed'.

I took a look, and noticed corrosion all over the battery charging contacts. Had to pry the battery off the radio. Found all kinds of crud on the inside power lugs on both the radio and battery.

After complete disassembly, cleaning with a mild solvent and a plastic brush and inspection, I got most of the visible gunk off. One of the spring loaded contacts seems to be missing the spring - I'm guessing it failed inside the plunger. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad.

I re-assembled the radio, put a good battery on it, and if I squeeze it REAL tight it'll power up. Immediately following the self test sequence it goes into transmit. While transmitting, it is affiliating properly with the system and passing audio.

Now it's possible that when I put it back together, I pinched something, and that's why it's transmitting. But beyond that, how tough is it to replace the power lugs on the board? Is this one of those easy field fixes, or am I looking at a major project?
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I've never actually removed one but I've done soldering in that area. I believe that once you get the solder flowing it should just pop right out.

If you need some good pins I have an old board with a dead PA to donate.

mancow
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Cool - check your pm's!
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”