Ford Explorer Install (Pic + Movie)

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ESDA20

Ford Explorer Install (Pic + Movie)

Post by ESDA20 »

Hah, its a post NOT asking for pictures! This one has pictures! Enjoy!

Quicktime Movie
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

oooh, blinkenlighten.

Works good. Why not hang that dual talon?
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Very nice indeed. Are those TIR3's in the grill? Talon would also look pimp on the rearview mirror level.

Anything to the side, rear or audible warning?
familo77

Post by familo77 »

Phabulous!!!!!
USCGTC

Post by USCGTC »

Very nice! Tell us what LEDs your using.
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

Very nice indeed, but I too agree that the Talon should be up above rear view mirror instead of on the dash. Kinda defeats that stealth look you've achieved with the TIR3's in the grill. Overall very lightsexy!
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Its not my explorer, I just helped with the install. You can see the rest of the photos and the evolution of the vehicle at this link.

The LEDs in the grill at TIR3's set to signal alert in an X pattern. The Talon can't fit above the mirror because the mirror is much larger then it needs to be. Its a rather large brick. But overall, you can't tell the vehicle has lights unless you really are looking for them.
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

Agreed re: placement of the Talon. I tried very hard to get it above the mirror, but it just wouldn't fit. This rearview mirror has some unnecessary electronics in it that gives it its bulk. The LS12 would fit, but not the Talon. Thus the compromise.

All said and done, I'm very happy with the install. Couldn't have done it without some creative help from ESDA20 ;)
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

Happy. Hah. Thats not what he was mumbling when he was leaving, grumbling something about needing loom and electrical tape. :lol:

I was sure we were going to end up drilling into an airbag sensor and setting off all the air bags.
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

I *HATE* crappy wiring.

Isn't that enough to keep anyone here awake at night, miss 7 or 8 meals in a row or give this whole thing up and open an ice cream stand?

Wiring ... must ... not ... suck. ;-) I feel better now.
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

So we can't use this left over telephone wire to install my TIR3s? :(
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

ESDA20 wrote:So we can't use this left over telephone wire to install my TIR3s? :(
Hey Echelon, will you bitchslap him once for me? :lol:

Damn nice install, by the way. And I share your concern for neat wiring... of course, you've got a few less wires than I do :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Illinois EMA allows for Red And Blue lights??
Adam

Post by Adam »

Also.. how are those Nova LEDs? Do they compare well with the TIR3s are far as brightness and viewing angles?

That is an excellent install, I'm sure it gives everyone light envy.
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

The TIR3s are a hair brighter than the NOVAs, but there is no comparison in overall effectiveness. The TIR3s are bright from just about any angle. The NOVAs, on the other hand, were only bright direct on. Quite disappointing. I still have a pair of NOVAs mounted in the cargo area pointing to the sides. They are the next to come down. But at this point, I have no idea what will replace them.

As far as red/blue and EMA in Illinois .. last year, the vehicle code was updated to permit the state EMA to run red/blue/siren on all their vehicles. Also, county EMAs can run red/blue/sirens on their emergency vehicles.

As I progress from year to year at the annual Illinois EMA conference, more and more local agency vehicles are migrating from amber lighting to red/blues, presumably as a result of the new code.

P.S. tvsjr: with immense pleasure!
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

I thought the IVC update only really addressed fire/ema volunteer lighting issues and simply added ESDA/EMA for county/municipal vehicles as their own entry instead of being covered by the general emergency vehicle definition.

Most EMA/ESDA have run all red or red blue for years on county/municipal vehicles.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
ESDA20

Post by ESDA20 »

EMA/ESDA were actually never really covered under the IVC until the more recent updates. Thus the reason many ESDAs claimed since they were "Search and Rescue", they'd fall under the "Rescue vehicle" clause. :)

The further south in the state you go, the more and more yellow/amber EMA/ESDA vehicles you see. As the state progresses and EMA evolves, so do these agencies.

Thus, any vehicle which is declared an official emergency vehicle (to include this one), is permitted red & blues. :) This is in essence, the same rule as fire chiefs and their POVs.

And the little people still get blue. ;)
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Nice install - about the only thing I don't like is the Sirius control head mounted to the AC vents...
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
Adam

Post by Adam »

Here in KY, Police, EMS, Vol Fire and "Rescue Squad" vehicles are all defined. No one but Police/Sheriff/Constable can use Blue/Blue or Blue/Red and that clearly shows that those combinations are police only. I don't guess your volly firefighters are permitted blue/red? That could get scary. I do think it is neat you are allowed blue/red.

For KY EMA officials and it's volunteers, we are Red/Red, Red/Amber, Red/Clear like all the other vollies, EMS and Fire.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Adam wrote:Here in KY, Police, EMS, Vol Fire and "Rescue Squad" vehicles are all defined. No one but Police/Sheriff/Constable can use Blue/Blue or Blue/Red and that clearly shows that those combinations are police only. I don't guess your volly firefighters are permitted blue/red? That could get scary. I do think it is neat you are allowed blue/red.

For KY EMA officials and it's volunteers, we are Red/Red, Red/Amber, Red/Clear like all the other vollies, EMS and Fire.
I find the variances in light laws interesting. Here in Texas, there's a definition for an "authorized emergency vehicle," which includes fire/police vehicles, vollies, etc. Anyone that falls under those rules can have anything they want. There's nothing saying a fire engine can't run solid blue, if they felt like it. Whereas, in many other states, they're *very* picky about what colors can be used where.

Regardless, I stay away from blue on our apparatus and my POV. People still see blue and immediately think police down here.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Wacky idea...

Post by spareparts »

Pardon the thread hijacking, but here's a really wacky idea: For the states to get any federal highway money, they need to conform to a standard warning light scheme. Red=Fire/EMS, Blue=LEO, Amber, everyone else.

Want federal funds for radio's - It has to be P25. Why not extend this to warning lights?

Martin
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Please do not turn this into a lighting law discussion, as the topic will end up locked.

This has been discussed so many times here in the past. Check your local/state/federal laws, and abide by them.

-Alex
Adam

Post by Adam »

Discussions are fine.. disagreements, arguements are what causes problems.

I think Texas has interesting laws as well. You think a cop is coming red/blue and an electric company truck passes you. lol

Trying to stay on topic. That's a sweet install.

How did you mount and run the wires from the TIR3s on the bumper?
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

Adam,

Honestly, they were a pain in the butt. It'll be easier to take some detailed photos with the grille removed and attach some narratives to explain how the 4 TIR3s are mounted.

I'll shoot for that this weekend and update this posting afterwards.
Adam

Post by Adam »

That would be nice but if it's too much trouble don't do it just for me. :)
echelon0911

Post by echelon0911 »

As promised, new photos are on-line. I have close-up photos of the grille and how the TIR3s are mounted.

I have also posted a couple of photos with the laptop in place.

Finally, I shot 8 10-second videos of the warning lights in action. They're all Quicktime .MOV files.

They include various shots of the TIR3s, the dual Talons, rear warning, etc. My favorite video is of the 4 grille-mounted TIR3s shot from a 45 degree angle. Shows how much punch these lights have off-center.

http://landofzoz.com/explorer

p.s. please be selective when downloading the video clips ... I'm not sure how much bandwidth I'm alloted.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

that looks great.
Adam

Post by Adam »

That is an excellent install. If that doesnt make people want to use Whelen LEDs.. nothing will.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”