T3020-AX (DES only KVL) Conversion?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hoser

T3020-AX (DES only KVL) Conversion?

Post by hoser »

Can a T3020-AX be converted to a T3011-DX in any way?

If you replace the EPROM, add the serial EEPROM and the hybrid?

Are the main boards common ?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

You'd be a 100 times better of to simply buy a T-3011DX off eBay. You should be able to find one new in the box.
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

I disagree that buying one would be better than making one if its possible to do so. For an already owned 'loader, a hybrid and firmware chip are pretty inexpensive and perfectly adequate for most users.

I have heard that you need a BX or better to upgrade to DX. I thnk this has to do with the EEPROM slot not being socketed(?). I've also heard something about certain DES only loaders (AX, maybe?) not being able to be uplifted to -xl. However, I've never confirmed either of these.
ricciticcitembo

Post by ricciticcitembo »

Yeah, I'll confirm the "not all are the same"

I had a half dozen cracked open, and at least one of them didn't
even vaugely resemble the others internall, irrespective of algorithm.

another had multiple boards stacked up.

I really don't know any specifics. I'm not a keyloader expert.
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

The only models that can be upgraded to a "DX" with a firmware change is the CX. If the AX & BX models have a main board with dip switches, it's NOT upgradeable............If they don't have dip switches, it IS upgradeable with the proper firmware chip change-out.
The Grabbing Hands, Grab all they can. Everything counts in large amounts. Martin L. Gore
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

My recollection is that BX could be upgraded to CX. This upgrade required drilling a hole with a Dremel tool and changing the EPROM. After this upgrade was done, the KVL was capable of all functions except for "remote KVL" (KVL dials into KMC using a dial-up modem) operation. Since CX could be upgraded to DX, I think that BX to DX is also possible.
radio-link

Post by radio-link »

JohnG wrote:My recollection is that BX could be upgraded to CX. This upgrade required drilling a hole with a Dremel tool and changing the EPROM. After this upgrade was done, the KVL was capable of all functions except for "remote KVL" (KVL dials into KMC using a dial-up modem) operation. Since CX could be upgraded to DX, I think that BX to DX is also possible.
Do you have exact procedures for that? Where to drill some hole, and why? I guess the main problem is the smaller EPROM in the older KVLs, and I guess this can be solved by wiring the bigger 27c256 EPROM directly to the CPU with the additional address lines.
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

I don't any longer. The procedure was in the instructions that came with the upgrade kit. The hole was drilled to cut a trace on an inaccessable PC board layer.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”