Once again to add to our hall of shame...

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KuhnElectronics
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Moto, Vertex

Once again to add to our hall of shame...

Post by KuhnElectronics »

Pictures of a AMP connector that some crackhead used for power on a 8 outlet 90w power supply....it didnt help that he grounded with 18awg wire...it was easy to find the fault, it wasnt as easy to breathe the smoke......

even though i didnt wire this, but it reburned the past taught lessons about gauge - length - current all back into my head..

just thought u guys would be interested...

http://kuhnelectronics.photosite.com/hallshame/
Nick Kuhn - Communications Technician/Technical Manager
AMP Electronics - Chillicothe, OH
http://www.amp-electronics.net
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Oh, that's nice...
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
afterimage84

ohh funny...and a question

Post by afterimage84 »

what does it mean when there is no voltage drop at the power source but there is one at the radio itself. by this i mean 13 v at the battery and when a radio transmits there is a drop @ the radio...not at the battery...? alternator going south, battery or is a larger guage wire needed? I think its 10 or 12 ga. to the radios and the guy said they used to all work fine with no "low battery beep" and now when he transmits there is the moto "blip blip" and they transmit for about 1/2 second.
Suddenly You Were Gone
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

It means a resistance in the fuse, holder, crimp lug, or wire. Also could same type of problem with ground. What is the voltage at the radio?
"The world runs on radio."
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

its 13 until tx...when txing it drops to 11 ish
Suddenly You Were Gone
Dave

Re: ohh funny...and a question

Post by Dave »

Check under the floor boards, it sounds like you may have a wire with a rotten butt connector or some other poor connection between the battery and radio.
afterimage84 wrote:what does it mean when there is no voltage drop at the power source but there is one at the radio itself. by this i mean 13 v at the battery and when a radio transmits there is a drop @ the radio...not at the battery...? alternator going south, battery or is a larger guage wire needed? I think its 10 or 12 ga. to the radios and the guy said they used to all work fine with no "low battery beep" and now when he transmits there is the moto "blip blip" and they transmit for about 1/2 second.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

Transmitt for a while and then feel of all connections. Heat means a problem there. Also look for any color change on connectors. You may just need a much larger wire.
"The world runs on radio."
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

ok, thanks for the advice!
Suddenly You Were Gone

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”